Thread: Logging shortcut

Logging shortcut

There I was, all properly outfitted with color coordinated shirt and truck, a nice large saw and no clue how to direct the fall where I wanted it or the smarts to park the truck more than the tree height away from the tree. But I didn't even need equipment to load the log.

Is it just me or does this not seem like justice in a way? A corollary to the comment that behind your back whether you know it or not, mother nature is laughing at you.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Logging shortcut

aah - whats the damage to the nice new truck? [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I made good use of my new husky 55 over two days this past week. The saw was much more capable than the wore out old senior using it. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I've seen that pic before and often wondered about the story behind it. If it wasn't staged, I can't imagine it's the owner in the bed of it. He's smiling, which I sure wouldn't be if it was my truck. I also suspect that alcohol was involved as well. Wonder if the truck showed up on E-Bay? ("Used pickup, now a convertible, slight damage to mirror on driver side")

Pat, be careful when walking in the woods! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...nny-death.html

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Now I'm afraid to go to Canada. I guess those short summers don't grow strong trees.
    (Actually, that's a tragic story.)

egon,
    I have avoided walking through our woods in the wind just for that reason. I've got quite a few "leaners" and since I only visit the property once a week or so in the winter, I am always surprised to see a tree that came down between visits and is now blocking a trail. I'd like to keep a lot of it "natural", but safe at the same time.

A couple days ago I had a calf get spooked and it ran into a gully and followed the creek for a ways before hiding. I went in to "drive" him back toward his mom in a pasture over 1/4 mile away. What surprised me was the number of large limbs that were downed in the way. No telling how many are broken or dangerously weakened haven't fallen yet. Yet another chore for me. cleaning out the fallen limbs and toppled trees.

Yeah, we had a WIND through here a while back. It blew lots of limbs off of trees and deposited several pieces of sheet metal (from who knows where) around my fields. It blew the 14ftx14ft rollup doors off of my metal buildings. Blew the west one into the bld and the east one out of the building. This bld is 30 years old and the painted the steel doors were not rusty or weakened by age. In fact, they were heavier gauge than is typically used now. They survived all the winds for the last 30 years but were blown totally away by the latest wind. I will be adding additional steel bracing to stiffen the doors to avoid a repeat of the expensive exercise.

I noticed yesterday that in a low place along the right of way where a gravel road borders my property for half a mile several large oak trees were down. I may salvage them for a trip to the mill for lumber.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"