Thread: Planting Christmas Trees

Planting Christmas Trees

Well, we planted 500 Christmas trees this past weekend. Got the seedlings (6-12" tall) from a nursery in western Michigan. Good service, came in 3 boxes about 2'x3'x15" via UPS. Also bought some "root dip" that we mixed into a slurry and dipped the roots in before planting. It's not food but it attracts water to the roots. Just ran a tape out in a straight line and stuck a shovel in every 6', wiggled it back and forth and opened up a hole. Moved tape over 6' and repeat. Went pretty quick. Planted about 100 trees per hour with 3 people. Nursery said to expect about 10% loss.

Re: Planting Christmas Trees

So, jml: when should we plan to be there for our fresh-cut tree?

JazzDad
    About 4-5 years, I'm told. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Tell you what, I'll give you a FREE tree when they're ready for harvest. Just have to come out and cut it down. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hey, you got a deal. Mrs Jazz is saying that Texas is getting too hot in the summers. She's toying with the idea of having a small winter house here, and another in Michigan, Wisconsin or Minnesota. If she buys in the UP, we'll stop by on our way sometime for that Yuletide icon. Thanks!

We are about 30 miles south of Buffalo and we are also thinking of planting some Christmas trees! We won't be planting 500 though (probably about 20). Just enough to give some to family and friends. We have a lot of trees on our property already, so I know that they will probably grow well here.
    I lived in Michigan for a little while (near Lansing). It is a nice state, but moved back to Buffalo to be near my now husband and family.
    Live....Laugh....Love....Learn

nbarker,
    My wife raised her eyebrows when I ordered that many, but I figure I'll get some loss from wildlife, trampling, some just plain won't make it. We're on the east side of the state about 90 miles from Lansing, but get over to see relatives and friends there periodically. Took a look at your aerial shot on the Photos thread. Real nice looking place. Mature trees and interesting contour features. Good luck with it.