Thread: Wine & cancer studies!??!!

Wine & cancer studies!??!!

Heard on the radio this AM that a study showed that drinking red wine helped prevent pancreatic cancer. They said that there is something in the skin of the red grape that gets passed along in the winemaking process that interferes with the mitochondrial process of the cancer cells..

Not 2 minutes later, same station reported that a study showed increased breast cancer risk in women who had 2-3 drinks per day, didn't matter if it was wine or hard liquor! What to do? What to do?? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I am of the opinion that we're all going to die of SOMETHING, SOMEDAY and that the best approach is moderation in everything we eat and do. JMHO. But people who run their lives by everything they read in Reader's Digest or their favorite diet or health magazine will go crazy because of all the conflicting studies and recommendations.

Anyway, since I'm a guy, I think I'll go home tonite and have a glass of red wine to help my cardiac function!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Wine & cancer studies!??!!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I am of the opinion that we're all going to die of SOMETHING

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a big let down. Since the doctors blamed every ailment know to mankind on smoking, I thought when I quit smoking I was going to be immortal, and now you tell I'm not. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

The leading cause of cancer in laboratory rats is researchers.

Good news i am not going to die of cancer. I drink a bottle a day and sometimes two just to be sure.

Good health is only the slowest rate at which you can die!

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

As slow as I'm doing everything else now-a-days, I might get to stay around for awhile then. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But just in case, I HAVE had my red wine today.

Now I'm torn between: 1. I plan to live forever and so far so good and 2. Life is uncertain, eat desert first!

Since a little of the beneficial stuff makes it through the processing and is still in the red wine, for a real blast of the active ingredient why not go to the source and eat a couple of the grapes and then drink whatever.

Unfortunately, by the time this sort of information has been processed for consumption by running it through the brain of a journalist or whatever it is often oversimplified and has lost nearly all of any scientific rigor it may have had when the "study" was initially published.

I have worked with English language experts/proof readers/tech writers who have rewritten some of my tech prose to make it simpler and more easily read. I then had to, point by point, show them were they had all universally oversimplified the material, made it easily read, but just technically wrong, and elliminating much of the logical consistency.

I subscribe to some excellent journals that report much of the late breaking science news. One weekly publication typically arrives in my mail box about the time of or a day or so ahead of the talking heads reporting some of its contents to America. I am frequently amused/amazed at how dumbed down it is after being filtered through the popular media (TV, radio, or print.)

No wonder the average person often gives up in the midst of the seemingly conflicting information. Even in the initial publication there are conflicts with other studies but the Tower of Babel effect imposed on information by the media makes the confusion intolerable.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I have heard something like that before too. With one small glass of wine every night its good for you and helps you live longer.

Old enough to know now, it is not the dying that is the rotten part, although that usually follows shortly after. It is that time between having a ball and not and waiting. For some it is blessedly short for others is is drawn out affair. If wine trips your trigger, go for it. You want to be face down in a grainery so plastered you have to go to an ICU, go for it. If you want to be a teetotaler and not bother, go for it. I think the point is coming across is do what makes you feel good about yourself, if you are not respecting yourself, you cannot respect anyone else. Seems to be you CAN live a lot longer that way than worrying about every little thing down the pike.

I am sure some will not like this post much, but maybe cindi can do a story on it.

I sure hope there is a god and she has a sense of humor and decides to use it!!

Best i can tell only 3 people got out of here alive and the 2 guys had to die to do it. (Mary ascended to heaven, so there is some justice)
    No fun, change the rules!!!