Thread: ANTS IN MY WELL!!!!

ANTS IN MY WELL!!!!

Hello, long time reader, first time poster.

My question is about the quality of my water.

I just recently installed a new whole house filter and new pressure tank along with a new softner.

I have notice little black specks in the water. Last night i pulled the filter to change it and its black. Also there is hundred of dead ants on the filter as well.

Anybody heard of the problem?

My well head sits flush with the ground. Shouldn't this be higher?

Thanks.

[img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: ANTS IN MY WELL!!!!

You should be looking at the whole system and arrange it so there is no communication with the surface or surface contaminants.

A water test may also be in order! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hmmm, not ants IN the well but plenty ON the well. When they mount the pressure switch on the wellhead, sometimes an ant will get caught in the contacts when they close. Two ants come to carry away the dead body, and guess what? The contacts close on them. So, four more ants some to carry away their dead buddies, and so on. After a short time, the contacts don't close anymore and you discover this when you have no water in the house.
    But, I can see ants getting into the well itself if things aren't sealed properly. And by sealing, I know you can't make it airtight or you won't draw up water.

Jazz; ants may be the most numerous living creatures on earth but your system would surely deplete the stock to zero in short order! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I do not see how a well pump could suck up ants if its 50 ft or so deep in the well. The ants would float on the top of the water. My guess the ants were in the pressure tank or water softner before you installed them and you have just not got them all out yet.

I'm with you, Jim. More likely one of the two was full of ants.

Or it could be an infestation of those new aquatic ants we heard about on TV [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

We just had this issue and I found this forum very helpful despite the age of the thread. I thought I would come back and post the information I found so others could benefit.