Thread: Got the air compressor going!

Hybrid View

Got the air compressor going!

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Waaay last August I was in the right place at the right time to bag a nice, 5 HP, Sanborn, 60 gallon, upright air compressor for free. The motor was only about a year old, but the pump was blamo. The tank check valve had come unscrewed internally and the valve innards fell into the tank. With no check valve the unit drained back through the unloader circuit and restarted against 90 PSI head pressure over and over ad infinitum until the motor finally tripped a breaker. By that time the crank and rods were blamo from starting dry against high head. I bought a new compressor from SURPLUS CENTER in Nebraska for a hundred bucks plus freight, but the late harvest and never-ending winter made it difficult to do much until things warmed up a little. I got the base re-drilled to match the new pump, and made up new piping a couple of weeks ago. Today I finally got the electrical all set up and energized. I'm using a mag starter that I built up with a 24V control circuit so I can run a remote toggle switch. This compressor is in a separate equipment room so to get it on line all I need is to do is flip on the bat-handle toggle switch on the interior wall of the shop. The unit runs nice and smooth with no leaks. This unit replaces a tiny one that I made out of a refrigeration pump taken from a Borden's Ice Cream freezer in 1971. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Re: Got the air compressor going!

Good job, Dave! I never used a frige compressor for a pressure pump before. A couple times I used one for a vacuum pump. Once to make a linear accelerator and once to lower the pressure in an air filled flash tube to cause it to arc over (flash) so as to not have to switch 15KV from a fast discharge pulse capacitor in my home brew pulse LASER. I teed in a plastic hose that when you put your thumb over the end the vacuum started to pump down till you reached the partial pressure where the 15KV would discharge between the electrodes in the quartz flash tube. Had to use a scatter shield as you never knew if the tube would explode or not.

I have a new upright compressor sitting on its pallet waiting for me to install it and plumb it into the shop, garage, etc. Not nearly the compressor you have but should be enough for me. Until or unless a trusted source (like you) tells me different the plan is to plumb everything with black iron pipe. I have heard all sorts of excuses for using PVC but I'm not interested. I will check the price of copper and powder coated aluminum too.

I may get a small refrigeration type drier. Never used or had one before. Do they sense the compressor running and come on or what?

Are we safe with compressed air?

Here is food for thought...

Compressed Air Piping Precautions:
    1. A blast of air under 40 psi from 4 inches away can rupture an eardrum or cause brain damage.
    2. As little as 12 p.s.i can pop an eyeball from its socket.
    3. Air can enter the navel, even through a layer of clothing, and inflate and rupture the intestines.
    4. Directed at the mouth, compressed air can rupture the lungs.

The following guidelines will reduce the risk of injury when using compressed air piping systems:
    1. Examine all hoses and connections to see that they are in good condition before turning the pressure on.
    2. Never point the air hose nozzle at any part of your body or at any other person.
    3. Never look into the end of a compressed air device.
    4. No horseplay with air hose.
    5. Never kink the hose to stop airflow - turn it off at the control valve.
    6. When using air for cleaning, make sure the pressure is no higher than 30 p.s.i.
    7. Always wear eye protection when using compressed air.

I won't go into details but I have violated some of these but am trying to be a better (safer) citizen.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Pat, I have probably scanned a hundred compressor-drier arrangements with INFRARED, but to be honest, I never noticed the setup as far as how and when the drier ran. I just assumed....... there's that word again,.... that it ran with the compressor motor, using a "rider" on the contactor that was a part of the control circuit of the drier. When the compressor contactor ran, it engaged a delay and then a few seconds later, the drier came on. The delay would be to reduce inrush current. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] My interior piping will be in sweated copper; it's easier and holds up well. I have a wall-mounted tank 6" diameter and two feet long that goes inside the shop and THAT tank has the regulator for low pressure and the usual gauges. Most of my blow guns are the OSHA type with the reducing device at the business end. Air can be very dangerous, and nobody who has spent their life around shops has not seen real stoooopidity at work. As confident as I am with my setup, I still don't feel real comfortable with leaving the air compressor "on" when I'm not in the shop. Too many things can and do happen; which is exactly why I now have this "free" compressor. This unit holds air well enough that it would just take a half a minute to pump up to shut-off pressure even if it sat for a week, and in any case there would always be enough residual pressure for inflating a tractor tire. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Yes, this IS kind of an overkill setup with a mag starter and 24V controls, but what the heck. I bought everything out of the surplus catalog, and already had the 24V transformer out of a scrapped HVAC unit, so why not eh? [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Oh, and one more thing to keep in mind when wiring your unit, Pat: when you think the wiring is the heaviest you should use, bump everything up one size. Compressors, both large and small, want your BEST STUFF in the power supply department. I'm pulling 14.1 AMPS and all of the motor supply is ten gauge wire. I have a 30A breaker in the supply panel, and 20A Fusitrons in the compressor overcurrent device, a superb, vintage, SqD fusible 3-Phase disconnect. I use the first two legs of that SqD for the motor and the third leg has a 6 AMP fuse in it for the control circuit. That leg feeds the 24V transformer. The magnetic starter is built in a GE can that used to be an enclosed outdoor breaker. The transformer is in the same can as the mag and there is a double-throw switch on the can for Local-Off-Remote. Local is just as it sounds, and Remote is the bat-handle toggle switch inside the shop. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Those little old refridgeration compressors are amazing. This one I have will hold 25" Hg. for as long as you want to sit and watch the gauge. I use it for pulling a vacuum on refridgeration piping. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    CJDave

So,the day after my 4 1/2 inch angle grinder died the portable 35 gal air compressor on wheels wouldn't go above 30PSI. I ran temp 240VAC to the new compressor sitting on its pallet for a loooooong time but to be installed real soon now and it worked for almost two days before malfunctioning.

The pressure switch relieves head pressure and turns the unit on when pressure sags. The unit now runs till it reaches shut off pressure but the head unloading air passage leaks air continuously until the pressure switch tries to turn the unit back on. It stalls and does not spin the compressor because the head pressure isn't relieved. I am well out of warranty. Lesson learned: maybe you should test stuff before letting it sit for a couple years.

I suppose I will be able to buy a new part for it and get it going. It is a Craftsman vertical 60 gal with 9 HP and 175PSI.

Pat

Pat; don't touch anything expensive till the third item breaks down! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hey, Egon...Well DU-UH... I listed three things that broke in the email to which you replied.

Why didn't you warn me before I wired up the new compressor? A fat lot of good the bad-luck-comes-in-threes warning is when you wait until I have already had three failures before you say anything!

Hey Dave... Assuming I get the 175psi Craftsman compressor fixed, should I put a regulator on the output to hold it down to a more moderate value? I noticed the refrigeration type drier I was thinking about is rated for less pressure than that and the advertising copy suggests a working pressure of 100 PSI.

I could, but would rather not have to run seperate "dry drops" separate from higher pressure not dry ones. Oiled and oil free drops are enough redundancy.

Do you think I really need more than 100 PSI for most general purpose shop stuff. I rarely exceed 100 PSI on my truck tires (rated for 110PSI)

If I can't get by OK with 100 PSI then I have to go to alternate means of drying the air. One alternative is absorbing cartridges.

What about running the drier on the input to the compressor instead of the output? I thought that since the drier works by cooling the air below the dew point to let moisture drop out and since the input air is cooler than the compressed air that it might dehumidify better on the input.

This might not be true in the case of air in the tank that has cooled over time and is now being let out of the tank but in a high duty cycle run time situaation I think it sould dry better in the input side,

Whatcha think?

Pat