Thread: Miniature Donkey Feeding

Miniature Donkey Feeding

I am now the proud owner of two wonderful mini donkeys. I was looking for advice on feeeding. My donkeys, ages 4 months and 1 year, do not have 24 hour access to pasture at this time. I am feeding hay. What about some type of equine feed. I know one must be careful no to overfeed. They also have a mineral block. I looked into protein blocks but they ate that rather quickly and that could get quite expensive. The breeeder I bought them from suggested to feed them a pellet feed that was crushed. Thought I bought that at the feed store, but it wasn't the right thing. Would like to hear from folks who have minis and what they are feeding them. Thank You

Re: Miniature Donkey Feeding

Just have the 'regular' kind of donkey. Right now they are penned up to get them away from the cattle so can ship them(the cattle). They are very happy with whatever hay can find for them, min block, water. Granted some of these guys came from the desert (BLM) but even the worst hay they will pick thru for food. They are very frugal.

More important is to keep up on the feet since they will not be out as much and wear them down on their own. Getting harder and harder to find a farrier, so maybe get your vet to show you how or at least landmarks to use for cutting.
    No fun, change the rules!!!