Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planting pole beans with corn.

Planting pole beans with corn.

My grandfather used to plant corn, then pole beans next to the corn and allow the beans to climb the corn stalk. I read an article about this, and it also planted squash between plants to keep weeds down and moisture in, it is called a "Three Sister's Garden". Has anybody done this, with or without the squash? I have planted Silver Queen in the past, and I am wondering if the stalks would be strong/tall enough to support the beans.

Re: Planting pole beans with corn.

Yes, I have tried that here. The deer enjoyed all three! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Were you able to harvest anything before the critters had a buffet? What type corn did you plant?

At certain times of the year the illicit harvestee can become the harvested. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    No fun, change the rules!!!

Can't remember the varities. They never got much more than a few inches tall. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I once tried planting corn and blackeyed peas together. The peas did fine and the corn produced almost nothing so I never tried it again.

I think i would try the cold season crops like peas, radishes, and lettuce. I use beds so have to be careful of the shadows the corn will throw over the other crops. This year i am trying out cantalope on the fence in between the corn and the salad bed so they will stay out of the hot sun but get full sun until about 12 or so. Always the experiment.

"At certain times of the year the illicit harvestee can become the harvested."

The freezer is getting low on ground meat! Still have steak and roast from last season though.

I am going to try Blue Lake pole beans and give the Silver Queen a chance I guess and see what happens. I won't plant until the first week of June. We are going on vacation and I want to be able to keep an eye out for white tailed havesters.

Beans are up about 2". Peas are up, first group about 4". Overseeded 1 bed with alfalfa and clover last year and that is up and to the flower point. Does not seem to interfere with the other food corps and keeps the weeds down. The chickens get the treats as the clover starts to flower up, they love it so the garden is really doing double duty this year.

Could really use a nice gentle rain, getting dry.