Thread: Manufactured housing onto a new or 'used' foundati

Manufactured housing onto a new or \'used\' foundati

Have the oppurtunity of having a manufactured house, currently in storage, and would like to discuss with anyone the feasibility of putting it on a foundation of a previous house (tear off the house first) or a new foundation (we have tornadoes) and how to fasten it down. It is currently a split in half double wide (not sure if it qualifies as trailer trash or not, it is pretty nice with a whirlpool and fireplace but no 'possum stuffed on the dining table) [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] .
    No fun, change the rules!!!

Re: Manufactured housing onto a new or \'used\' foundati

I've owned and lived in both single and double wide manufactured housing (formerly called "mobile homes" and even more formerly called "house trailers" [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] ). I don't know just what kind of "foundation" you are talking about. In the south, slab foundations are common for site built homes, but that's probably not what you have in the north. The manufactured homes are generally simply placed with no "foundation" other than concrete blocks set on the surface of the ground. The homes are built with metal straps to anchor them down to anchors that are screwed into the ground. But to place them on a concrete slab is much, much better. However, I'd recommend that you talk to someone experienced in "installing" or setting up manufactured homes in your area.

Up here in the frozen north there are several methods used.

Some of these units are built to be set on a regular basement.

The other method is to set them on concrete piles and hoard the bottom in or it can be set on concrete walls that do not require hoarding.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'd check with the building department of your local goverment body to see what the requirements are. If none, I'd anchor it best way that I could. Don't know why you couldn't use an existing foundation if it was in good shape and the size was right.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] One of our neighbors did that very thing with a single-wide. It was a way of getting a newlywed couple into a "first home" and the basement-foundation was already on one of the farms that they owned. So they carefully took the old dilapidated house off the basement boundation and burnt it, then slipped the single wide onto the concrete. The only rub was that the single wide had no basement door and no place to put one (unless you want to put a trap door under the living room rug) so they had to use the cellar door type of outside entrance. The basement had kind of a little pooch-out on one side so they stick-built a utility room onto the single wide that went out and over that extension of the original basement. I thought the project came out real nice. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

ECCENTRICFARMER..............I THINK ODDS OF GETTING THE MANUFACTURED HOME TO FIT ON AN EXISTING FOUNDATION WOULD BE LIKE WINNING THE LOTTO.BUT IN THE LONGSHOT IT FITS,YOU CAN BUY ANCHORS TO TIE IT INTO THE FOUNDATION.YOU DRILL A HOLE AND BREAK A TUBE WITH RESIN AND WHAT APPEARS TO BE PEA GRAVEL.THEN SET YOUR ACHOR BOLT IN IMMEDIATELY.
    I`M NOT SURE HOW EASY IT WILL BE TO ACCESS THE SILL PLATES TO DRILL AND BOLT THEM DOWN.BEFORE YOU BUY THE DOUBLE WIDE HAVE THE FOUNDATION MEASURED UP.

CORDWOODGUY

Thanks for all the help guys!

Cordwood, i have never heard of the resin and pea gravel, can you enlighten me a bit? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Considering already have the double wide, just no place to put it at this moment. May even have to build the foundation to fit but was hoping to try and come out cheaper by using an existing. Also so many houses go up and are instant eye sores just by existing. Arund here now there are lots of houses built on really nice land and now have been fore closed or never even sold and just sitting there, but the land is now gone for farm use. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

By existing foundation I think concrete slab. ??
    As long as it is bigger than the home i don't see why you could not just set on the slab. Heck might even be able to use some of the existing plumbing, and have an instant patio. I have no idea what cordwood is talking about either. I would just make the holes with a hammer drill or what ever, put in the anchors and then fill the hole with fast dry high PSI concrete. You can buy bags of it at almost any place that sells bagged concrete.

For weather issues was thinking of a basement. Did run across some anchor cement that maybe what cord was refering to but it was a liquid, or a pre mixed.