Thread: Barn Door Hardware

Barn Door Hardware

I resorted to a contractor to help me with some changes to my barn due to time constraints. One of the changes was to add a set of sliding doors with four panels. (double track, two panels on each side due to space)

The center and side latches were no problem but the builder was at a loss on how to secure the inner and outter panels when in the closed position. Not usually short on ideas, I did not know either.

The doors are made with the extruded sides and bottoms with a few wood purlins then faced with steel. Any sources of hardware or ideas?

Re: Barn Door Hardware

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Here in the Midwest large sliders are held by some over-center latches that pull the edges of the doors tight to the door opening at each side of the door. If the door is split, then a pipe is set into the ground in the center into which another pipe can drop and thus hold the center of the doors from swinging out. In your case, you will need to use over-center latches on the outer edges, and then again where the doors meet, and then a sunken pipe in the middle. OR..... use a double track of heavy iron set into the ground with a blade on each door that runs in it. Also, you'll need to have those doors slide behind some brackets that hold them from blowing around when they are open. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

The doors will have horses passing through the opening so I don't want to put anything more than say a concrete keyway to guide them when closed.

National has something that looks like an upside down "U" except one leg is longer than the other. It comes with two sleeves that screw on and simply drops in. They don't cost much so I may order a couple in to see if they will work.

You can get these tracks that bolt to the guide wheel and a bracket for the extruded aluminum door bottom to follow. I had them on my last barn and though they are sometimes in the way for say shoveling snow (which I don't get much of at the "new" place), they do a good job of securing the door bottom especially against wind (which I do have in abundance).

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] If it wuz me, I would take the time and foot the bill for a really good track set in concrete with a good-sized tongue sticking down from the door into the slot. Yes, there might be a time when horse crap could build up in the track somewhat, but digging that out with a hay hook would be easy compared to unhooking the doors from other kinds of latching devices each and every time you take Dobbin out of the barn. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave