Thread: Selling wood shavings

Selling wood shavings

I need advise from all of you. I own a custom moulding mill. I would like to sel my wood shavings. What form do those of you who use wood savings for bedding prefer? What price are you used to paying? Are you willing to pick it up and how often do you re stock?

Also, we have all inds of hardwood we use. Is there a paricular type of wood that is preferred and what type is not beneficial?

Sure appreciate your feedback.

Mary Kay

Re: Selling wood shavings

Eastern red cedar makes good fill for dog mattresses. I have no personal knowledge of any significant differences between species other than possibly tannin in oak so far as soil amendments go.

Pat

"I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Walnut may not be acceptable???

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Regarding horse bedding. Walnut is definitely toxic. Owners with a few horses would certainly pick it up if its nearby. Bigger operations would probably get a trailer load periodically. I know the place we keep our horse has the bags trucked in and stored. A new trend is to use a pelletized product. It's more expensive, but is more efficient as the "used" material clumps together making it easier to clean a stall and you end up using less material over time. Don't know about price. Check local feed stores or TSC.

I know this is an older post but for the others. I believe biomass is a solution to field and woodland products. Find a biomass facility in your area and sell the product.

Yeah, I agree with mike. I would look into fule options. Depending on cost you might be able to set up to produce pellets for the new style wood burning furnaces. It's a little more intalled and expensive to get going buy your coustomers would have a never ending need fit the pellets and being that your cradle to grave you would be very completive price wise.