Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auction found tools

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Auction found tools

Here's a thread that may get some responses....

What were some of the best buys of tools that you've found at auctions?

Just this week I got the Craftsman circular saw that I mentioned in my other thread. Last week, I got 3 good pick axes for $8, for all of them. A few months ago, I got a nice Craftsman 14 drawer tool box ( the middle grade, not the homeowner grade) for $120.

I've found lots more good stuff, but I can't think of any right now. What have you guys found? [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Re: Auction found tools

Seeing as I do not attend auctions nothing has came my way. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Those pickaxes are intriguing? Will your back outlast them?

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Six crowbars of various sizes: $2. Trash pump: $50. 4000w generator: $60. Most of the time, auction prices get too high for goods that are used and of questionable functionality. I've seen used stuff go for 80-90% of what you could buy new (with a WARRANTY). EBay and Craigslist are kind of getting that way. Gotta be careful, know your merchandise and don't get caught up in the bidding frenzy.

The problem with auctions is they just take up too much of my time plus I gotta drive to them. I would rather just go buy what I need.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

We have lot of very local auctions, one every Friday and Saturday night. My wife and I often go when we're done with farm chores. It's a cheap night's entertainment, and sometimes we get good buys. And sometimes we laugh at people who spend more for old junk then they would have spent for something brand new.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

I am also entertained by folks in the feeding frenzy. I have seen cheap Chinese imported "aluminum" handled pipe wrenches sell for significantly more than US made new ones.

I have seen hand trucks go for more than a new one at HD, HF, or Lowes.

There are bargains though. I paid $75 for a 300 gal overhead fuel tank on a stand. It is as good as new still after 6-7 years.

I bought T-posts in good shape for about 2/3 of new.

On the subject of T-posts... TSC is asking $4.09 each for 6 foot (1.25 lbs per foot) posts. Orcheln's sold me the same thing for $3.59, yesterday. They were less than $3 about 5 years ago and a couple years before that they were about $2.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] My all-time best buy was a "pair" of Milwaukee pistol grip drills, 20 dollars each. They both had half-inch capacity chucks. One was perfect, one had the detachable power cord missing and the chuck was blamo. I had to cut that chuck off, but the shaft thread was OK and the detachable cord was easy to get from a dealer. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You definitely have to know what stuff is worth. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I saw a welder sell for forty dollars and the long copper leads were worth twice that, Air compressors usually bring at or near new price as do torches. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I bought a floor model sixteen speed drill press for 95 dollars and spent another 90 on it making a drill out of it. (you have to make some changes or they're no good) I enjoy the heck out of using it now that it is in it's modified form. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    CJDave

My all-time favorite story is when I went to a high-tech robotics company liquidation auction years ago with some guys from another high-tech company that did specialized testing (vibration analysis, etc). We opened a cabinet door and found it loaded with VERY high-priced specialized electronic test equipment (by HP, Fluke, others). Well over $50,000 worth of stuff almost brand new. We quietly closed the door and said nothing, not even a smile. We waited, watching ladders go for $150, etc. My buddy bid $75 on the cabinet and got it, contents included. Most people there had no idea what the stuff was for or had a use for it. But the ladders and workbenches....... everyone can use one of them. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I bought a Stihl chainsaw once for $20.00. It was one of the middle sizes in great condition. Another time, I bought a small tractor that needed some minor repairs for $125.00. I think I got lucky on both of those!

Two weeks ago, I got a whole toolbox-full of tools for $10. I got a brand new in the box circular saw for $13. And I got an assortment of rakes, shovels, hoes, picks and sledge hammers (about 20 in all) for $20.

Should I say that I love going to the auction?