Thread: Morel Mushrooms in Oklahoma?

Morel Mushrooms in Oklahoma?

Does anyone know if Morels grow in rural Oklahoma. If so, what types of conditions do they need and grow in.
    Every spring here in Kentucky we collect Morels in the woods, generally in moist but sunny spots, around May apples, bases of wild cherry trees, edges of creek beds, etc.

I will be moving to OK in a matter of 4-6 weeks and am hoping I don't miss the season.

Re: Morel Mushrooms in Oklahoma?

From Google:

<font color="blue"> </font color> Morel Habitats may be started in any type of soil and have produced morrell mushrooms in all areas of the United States that have a definite transition from winter to spring. <font color="blue"> </font color>

Lots of hits on google [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Something told me that you would be the one to my rescue with an answer. I appreciate you taking the time.

Looks like Google is about to become my next best friend. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hey; I didn't rescue anyone. I just typed a few words into Google search! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

But I do like Morels and should try and start some out at the Farm! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

I don't have the experience or training to safely gather mushrooms but my neighbor to the south of me gathers lots of wild morels every year and tells me some folks gather them for commercial sales.

I recall a cartoon about mushrooms that sort of ties in with my mushroom ID ability: There are two adjacent bins in the produce section of the market. One is labeled MUSHROOMS: $2.49/half pound and the other is labeled Mushrooms? $0.49/lb.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

It looks like my time of arrival to OK will be just about perfect for morrel hunting if all stays on schedual.
    I used to be paranoid of picking mushrooms myself. I just knew I was going to pick and eat the poision ones, kinda like the .49/lb in the cartoon. However, after paying as much as $60.00/lb. for them for resturant use, I decided I'd better learn if I wanted to use them at home. Some years are very productive while others are hit and miss. Finding a local resturant to sell to could be very profitable.
    I'm feeling lucky this year! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have no clue as to markets for Morels but I have heard folks talk about picking them to sell as well as for personal consumption. One of the guys also used to hunt Echinacea, commonly called Purple coneflower.

Pat

Morels are one of my favorites. Almost as much enjoyment searching for them as eating them. It's a family thing for us.

yes you can find morel mushrooms in Oklahoma. They have not came up yet that i know of.

Yo, ReosDad, Are you here is the great state of Oklahoma yet? If not you better shake a leg if you don't want to miss Morel season!

It was 87 F yesterday but only 44F after breakfast today. Not sure what it takes temp wise to get Morels going but soon it will just be hot most of the time.

Pat