I have been trying to decide what long range varmint control tool to buy. After lots of reading I decided on a 6.5mm semi-auto, "AR" style implement. The 6.5 mm projectiles are available in high sectional density and with high ballistic coefficient so they retain a good percentage of their initial energy out to 1000 yards (over half a mile.) They are not blown off course as much as a .308 or a .223 or lots of other more common sizes and have a flatter trajectory beyond 3-500 yds than many other choices.

I selected a 24 inch "bull" barrel in stainless steel. It is button rifled in 1:7.5 twist. It is guaranteed to perform to less than one minute of angle so I have not given up much, if any, precision compared to a bolt action.

Recoil is moderate, well under a .308 and barrel life is much better than such cousins as the 6.5x284 or the 22-250.

Now I have to select optics and tool up for hand feeding it. It consumes less materials DIY than many competitive units and good store bought ready to use rounds are available.

Officially it is chambered for 6.5mm Creedmoor. Similar to the 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Swede, .260 Winchester and so forth.

Lacking a sufficient supply of cooperative varmints, I can also perforate paper with it.

Pat