Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I just ordered a long range varmint control tool

Re: I just ordered a long range varmint control to

Here is my favorite rifle. A K98 Mauser re barreled for 45-70. It makes nice big holes.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Are you saying .45-70 Govmt.? As in US Cavalry, circa 1870's? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I am absolutely fascinated by that caliber and desperately want to own SOMETHING that shoots that ancient cartridge. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Yep one and the same. There are quite a few new rifles and even a pistol or two chambered for it. Marlin makes a real nice lever gun. I think they call it the guide special. You can load em rel hot if you got the courage. I would think you gotta be abnormal to shoot the pistols.

For short ranges a decent reflex sight (miniature heads up display) is better than any iron sights. I was definitely in the iron sight camp till my eyes got too old. A reflex sight lets your eye be focused out in the distance and superimposes a red dot or whatever reticule you want in your view of the target. There is no parallax. You just see a red dot or cross hairs or whatever floating in space. You just put the dot or reticule on the target. Much faster and easier than using a regular telescopic sight and the optics don't have to be adjusted for varying ranges to give an "IN FOCUS" view of the target or the reticule (or dot.)

There are adjustments for windage and elevation just like with iron sights. Like with everything else there is just about no upper limit of price on these things but since the optics are so simple with no magnification, the simpler cheaper ones (quite inexpensive) work pretty darned good.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

True, that would be the perfect answerer. As always I'm several lives behind in technology! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Jim, I know the practicality of the ammo carrier on the stock but it seems a shame to cover up that beautifully figured wood. A very nice looking rifle indeed.

I have ordered a replacement pistol grip for the 6.5 due to my larger than standard issue hands. It has a built in 3 round reserve ammo holder inside the grip so you always have 3 rounds available, just in case.

This 6.5 Creedmoor in AR style (A3 style flat top) is my first AR experience. The only weapon I got to use in the USAF was a .30 M1 carbine (aka pop gun) as I was stateside and not "in country" during Viet Nam fracas. It is taking a while to get used to this "black gun" but I could always paint it with racing stripes or whatever. I noticed some of the long range rifle competitors at the national matches have rifles painted about like the custom skate boards. Makes the rifles look less "menacing and sinister" and more like a fun hobby thing.

My rifle ==> http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=51

Pat

Pat,

I have two ARs, both the M4 style. One is 5.56 and the other is 6.8SPC. Both shoot very nice. I also have a .22LR conversion for the 5.56 unit. Also works well. At reasonably short ranges it hits about the same as the 5.56 rounds. I'm talking 100-200 ft. Just for plinking.

You might want to get some Duracoat from Lauer Custom Weaponry and pretty that thing up. I saw a picture of one all in pink and white with Hello Kitty stickers on it. Not my thing, but it sure didn't look like an Evil Black Rifle either!

Reflex sights: I have two. One is an Eotech of military quality. Cost about $350. The other is a BSA, marked anyway, for about $80. Performance is about the same, though the Eotech should be a lot tougher. The BSA has selectable reticules too. The Eotech, not.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] When it comes to "recognizable viciousness" I doubt if any weapon can compare to the AK-47 and it's clones/variants. We quit taking Jeepchick's Iron Curtain Typewriter to any public ranges because of the looks that it always seem to garner; people would look at us as if we were going to leave there and go shoot up a US gov office. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I once drew the design for a stock that would make an AK look like a Manlicher. That, together with a short clip, would tame down the appearance considerably. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Gary, I'm going to get the scope rings where the front ring has a short Picatiny rail (or one of the mounts that clamps onto the scope tube) and put a reflex sight on it for when a shot presents itself too close to be practical with a scope. Currently using a 6.5-20X50 and its minimum distance on the parallax scale is 50 yds. I have shot it at 100 yds, favorably but not with a good steady rest and will be interested to see what I can do at 300, 500, and farther.

What distances have you shot the 6.8 and how does it perform? I selected the 6.5 based on published reports touting it being easy on brass, easy to load for, easy on barrels, great long range ballistics, less wind drift effects than .308 and so forth.

I'm probably going to buy at least one more upper compatible with my lower and am thinking it will be a .223 (5.65mm)as there is still some cheap ammo available. It will suffice for shorter ranges. I wouldn't mind a .22LR capability either.

I will be fitting a suppressor to the 6.5mm that is actually a .30 cal can as I don't see any COTS units for 6.5mm. According to informed sources the .30 cal unit I'm interested in will only lose 5% (raw not dB) in performance when used on a 6.5mm. I will probably try it on the .223 upper as well and a .308 if that should happen. Of course you will still have the sharp crack of the supersonic projectile but the window rattling and wife irritating muzzle blast will be significantly subdued. My current shooting situation is off the back porch to a pond bank at 100 yds. I will explore and develop longer range shooting positions, adding safety berms as and when needed.

Pat

Paint it with at least some pink and do flowers and vines like a 60's hippie van. Tie ribbons on it where function will not be impaired and let it dangle some love beads. Maybe a slogan on the stock, something like, "Peace, love, and Donny Osmond" or "Don't eat grapes" or "bite my walnetto" but if it were me I would stop short of "Peace Symbols."

Pat