Thread: Hay costs and availablity

Hay costs and availablity

My county is in "severe" drought conditions. We called the folks we bought hay from last year (at $35 a round bale). He said this year it cost him, what with the cost of fuel and fertilizer, $85. They have only made one cutting this year, where they normally would have made two by this time. We've had less than 1/4" of rain in the last 8 weeks. He wouldn't sell what hay he had as there is no relief in the forecast for the next 30 days. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Re: Hay costs and availablity

I only buy the small 100lb bales but they are going for between 13.50 and 14 .50 a bale. I used to think 1.50 was robbery.

After what I just paid for fertilizer, and knowing what fuel costs right now (it costs me ~$25 to run the 4320 for an hour) I am scared to ask our hay baler what he is charging this year. I shredded the first cutting to try to put some organic material back into the ground. Luckily we are carrying over a lot of hay from last year. But, like the fuel, we will need it so we might as well get ready.

So far I have never bought hay and trade work with a friend to get my fields baled. Another friend just bought a load of round bales (1000-1200 lbs each, first cutting) for $35/bale. This is in south central Oklahoma. Previously he had to drive to Ft. Smith Arkansas and pay $85/bale for real junk and was glad to find it during our drought.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

All the fields we used to rent for hay got turned into corn fields or gravel pits. The cows are out on 2/3 of the acreage and the other 1/3 is been disced and reseeded into pasture for use this fall but that is it.
    No fun, change the rules!!!

I just paid 5.50 a bale for 200 small square bales of horse quality timothy hay. This is from the first cutting. The farmer we buy from says he's not sure he'll get a second cutting since he had to cut so late this year with the moist conditions. I paid 4.25 last year (delivered).

I feel for you!
    I had to buy hay for the first time this year. Paid $30/5x5 bale net wrapped & delivered. I was lucky to get it at that price. My new farming partner has been in town since the dawn of time & is related to everybody.
    I had a new guy bale the fields this year. He was going to take care of the farm for me while I'm in Calif. He refused to cut until the seed heads were well formed for the first cutting. I didn't want the pastures reseeded (we have mostly KY31, I want to reseed w/ MaxQ, Timothy & Orchard grass.) He stacked those bales in the barn too wet & they molded. (Thank goodness the barn didn't burn tho! I kept the doors open & my fans from the house running in the barn to keep air across them.) Everyone else in the area got 3 cuttings, we only got that one. So, I had to buy all the hay the animals w/ eat, although there is more stockpiled this year, since it didn't get cut.
    We usually only have to feed Hay as the sole source of feed for 3months... so we're not too bad off. I'm looking for Mangel or fodder beets to plant as well. New farming partner didn't get there soon enough to plant garden. We'll be looking for pumpkins after Halloween tho. That'll help some, but those will only last a few weeks.