Thread: Cordless impact driver

Cordless impact driver

My favorite building magazine had a timely article about these powerful tools in the latest issue. Since I have been doing a lot of fastening and still have a lot more to do working on my barn, I decided to purchase one.

The reviewer in the article liked the 14.4V Lithium Ion models the best due to weight issues. I found some other online reviews and the consensus among the users who worked with the tools was on the 18V Lithium Ion models.

Weighing the reviews and doing some on line pricing, I went with the WL14DL Hitachi 14.4V Lithium Ion tool.

I have had a chance to do some small jobs now and I really am glad to have added this tool to my arsenal. I also happen to have had hernia surgery a few weeks ago so I have not been in the barn with the driver yet but I am looking forward to giving it a good workout.

I had to overcome my own personal taste too. Ever since Hitachi started styling tools to look like athletic shoes, I have ignored them over tools from Milwaukee and Dewault for instance. I really like the way that this tool fits my hand.

Re: Cordless impact driver

Good luck with your new tool.

I recently acquired a Bosch cordless impact driver. Only 10.8 V, but it's ideal for the smaller jobs that don't justify bringing out the air powered impact wrench. I recently used it to assemble some workbenches for my reloading area. Has enough torque to easily twist off 1/4" bolts that came with the benches.

I agree with you about the Hitachi styling though.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I got to use the impact driver using a variety of screws and bits adding some sqirt boards to my barn. I tried it with the #2 phillips, a #2 square and a #25 torx bit with screws ranging from 2.5" up to some 3.5"x9's.

The torx bit worked with the least amount of pushing to keep the bit from slipping out of the screw but even the phillips was not bad. I ran enough square drive screws in to wear out a bit which I finally replaced after deciding it was taking too much pressure to keep it engaged.

The batteries though Lithium Ion, do not last as long as the 18V NiCad's in my Milwaukee but since there are two in the kit and they fast charge, that is not an issue.

My barn project involves adding a lot of tongue & groove lumber for stalls, etc. Mostly, I just air nail the boards but there are a lot of places where nails would loosen over time so I am using screws there. Lots of screws. It was getting old using my corded hammer drill to put them in and my cordless was dedicated to predrilling holes where I did not want the boards to split out.

I think if I made a living doing deck work then I might want to opt for an 18V impact driver but for general work, the 14.4 is fine.

In the past I have always been dubious about battery run hand tools. It may stem from the batteries of my youth.

At Xmas my son gave me a Ryobi 18 volt cordless impact screw driver. It's beeen put to use installing sheeting and other assorted jobs on a little building I am putting up for another fellow. The thing is fantastic in my view. I'm glad someone pulled my head out of the sand! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] My neighbor farms just over a thousand acres and has all the usual equipment. His DeWalt cordless impact never gets a day off. It is SO HANDY for working on equipment that is too far from the shop to reach with air and electric impact guns. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

There are two types of drivers. One has a 1/2" square drive and the other has the 1/4" hex drive. I worked with a friend that had a Dewault 18V 1/2" square driver. It worked great for running lags in.

The driver I just bought was the latter style with the 1/4" hex drive. You must use the bits with the groove milled in that locks in the chuck. To change the bits, you just pull the chuck forward and the bit is free to come out or be put in.

I usually try to purchase square driver hardware but I had some phillips and a box of torx drive screws I just picked up. I was also running in some 1/4" siding screws with the neopreme washers. Changing out the bits goes quickly and having multiple heads no longer seems a chore though I think torx is going to be my new drive choice having used them now.

These folks Mcfeelys are a great on line resource for screws. Want Silicon bronze, they have them! Ceramic finish, no problem!

Take a look at the website. Good information even if you don't buy their products.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I have gotten a few Mcfeelys catalogs and they do have a wealth of info. I don't recall ever ordering from them though. I tend to grab things last minute from the big box even though the choices are sometimes limited.

Monica bought me a 4-tool DeWalt kit for Christmas from Lowes and it came with a certificate to mail in for another tool. I chose the cut-off tool. Well then I got to playing with the tools in the kit. The drill and one of the others were bad so we had to return it. They were still offering the free tool, figuring they would see that I returned the first set we sent for another - except that I changed my mind and got the little cordless 1/4" impact driver. Didn't use it for a long time, but it is now my new favorite tool. I love it. Not sure how it does it, but it drives screws even easier than a cordless drill - didn't think that was possible. BTW, I got the cut-off tool in the mail too, I've only used it 2 or 3 times - lost count on the little impact driver, but I've used it more than I have the whole rest of the kit combined that I actually bought.

My son gave me a Ryobi cordless impact screw driver for Xmas. Always I have been doubtfull of using tools that have batteries as I can remember turning off the radio to conserve the batteries.

Surprise was the only way to describe my first use of this tool. Definetly a very very handy Item. It has also been well used as I am building a little 14 by 24 foot shed for a fellow. All the plywood has been screed on using the impact driver. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]