Thread: Downy Woodpeckers

Downy Woodpeckers

I have just spent three hard logging ,relaxing days at the farm.

The woods were filled with the sound of Downy Woodpeckers checking out the noise making ability of their beaks. One would suspect this constant jarring of the head would have a little impact on the Powers of innovation but this is not so. From the camper window I could observe one fellow constantly pecking at the same knot on a tree. Looking a little closer it was noted he was taking sunflower seeds from the feeder and dropping them into a small sort of natural cup on the knot where he could break them open. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Downy Woodpeckers

Although they are destructive, we find woodpeckers to be some of the most interesting birds to watch and listen to.

You mentioned logging, Egon. Is this the start of another project, or are you just building the fuel pile for this winter (that probably starts next week, up there where you live)?

Jazz, some is being piled for stove wood. The one log is destined for lumber which means sawdust and toothpicks! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

We haven't seen any of your projects in a while. Are you working on some HUGE one? My latest is a side table to match that dining table I built a couple of years back. Oh, no! This has nothing to do with wildlife, unless I mention the wood had worms in it.

No proper projects Jazz. I am trying to build a small boat house for a fellow though. That seems to take all my spare time as I tire easily especially if any heavy lifting is involved. About three to four hours seems to be the maximum I can work. Getting my strength back after the surgery seems to take forever. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Light work goes much better. I can sit and watch the lakeside birds all day while lifting weights with my right arm and occasionally replenishing the fire with no problems other than perhaps falling asleep! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Just got back from Alexandria MN from a vacation (much needed). There were a couple pileated woodpeckers flying around. They are huge!! There pecking sounded more like a 24 oz hammer nailing 10 penny nails.
    No fun, change the rules!!!