Thread: Pole Barn basement add - on

Pole Barn basement add - on

Okay- anyone ever tried this?
    putting up a 48x80 building - half shop /half house. Decided instead of building a new house once it's all paid for might be cheaper to just add on - but I want to add on a walk out basement plus area above - like maybe 30x30 or something like that.

So - what do you need to do to have a basemnet under a pole barn? Is it even possible?

Also wondering if it's cheaper to just put up the entire shell up front and leave part unfinished until finances allow instead of trying to tie into a finished building after the fact.

Re: Pole Barn basement add - on

Pole barn on a foundation? No problem. The posts are secured to the foundation with "L" shaped brackets. The anchor bolts must be accurately placed. Use PT lumber for a sill same as standard construction. Don't forget the sill seal.
    Remember, treated wood requires the correct fastening devices.

Adding on to an existing building, pole or not, is going to cost more than if you did the entire shell up front.

The pole barn builder I used to haul for erected a fair number of buildings on foundations. I do not recall if his brackets were galvanized or stainless. I think stainless though$$$.

If you are contracting the barn out, I would not want your project to be the builders first try at building on a wall.