Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windbreak planning

Re: Windbreak planning

Does anyone else have any thoughts on good cold climate trees or shrubs that I could look at using?

I am trying to think of both longterm use and short term growth when picking things. I am including some slower growing oaks and maples into the design, not to mention butternut/black walnut, mulberry, apple, cherry, apricot, plum, etc.

Once I have things established I would really like to get some Chestnuts from the Ottawa area and give them a try. You never know... I can grow somethings in the right microclimate that are two zones warmer, why not try a tree?

The Univ of Minnesota has some good resources and makes some of their own trees. Seems a while back they had a very fast growing poplar. They also are big into apples.
    No fun, change the rules!!!

Just planted a few Russian Olive. I like the silver colour and soft feltlike leaves. The thorns are impressive as well. Not the kind of thing I am going to enjoy pruning and picking up after, but what the hell. You can't have everything.

A large amount of hair grass has sprouted and is going to seed. I like it. Self seeded, 12-18" tall, very soft tops.

Still keeping my eye open for more options

Just had to chew up a Russian Olive, pulled out of the ground by the storm. Pretty wood. Tree was about 17 years old and had started to rot some.

Just do not put in buckthorn. It is an awful and obnoxious tree,brush that you cannot get rid of and makes life miserable.
    No fun, change the rules!!!