Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Embarrassment

Embarrassment

Yesterday I installed a the window air conditioner for the summer. I'd got it to front steps and then had to carry it inside. Normally I use a plank and rug to slide it on. Yesterday a young fellow that was working on the roof next door suddenly appeared and asked if he could help. So we both grabbed a side, carried it in and placed it in the window. Took all of maybe three four minutes and all was done.

The embarrassing part is this young fellow could have easily lifted it himself with no trouble. It was almost as if I was in the way. Somewhere over the years I have left my strength behind?? [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Do any of you other seniors have this problem? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

Re: Embarrassment

Yeah, I'm not that old (58) and it just happened yesterday at work. I wanted to move a small cardtable-sized lunch table out of the employee lunch room onto the shop floor about 50' feet away. It was kind of heavy but more awkward to move than anything else. I asked one of the welders to help me. He came over, we started to move it and he just said "here let me get it". He picked it up, turned it sideways and carried it out. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I can't lift full cans of gas out of the back of the pickup over the side anymore with one hand. Stuff like that. Nowadays I think a lot before I just go snatch a toolbox or some other heavy object and fling it around.

Sometimes I can do it but I'll feel a muscle strain or snap and pay for it for days with lots of Advil and limping around. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I don't jump up on fences or equipment like I used to, either.

My FIL was always a strong guy who worked in a shop. It bugs him at 80 to know that he can't do stuff like he used to.

Bottom line is to keep active but warm those muscles up first. Getting out of bed too fast in the morning can pull a muscle for me. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I know I'll never get the strength back, but at least I can stay moving. If I lay around too much, I'm afraid they'll bury me. LOL

Yep every time I go and buy hay. Those guys pick up the bales and just throw em in the truck. I have to drag them out and use my tractor to move them.

Not only a similar problem, but almost exact. I've removed and installed a few window unit air-conditioners in the past, but a couple of years ago when I put the 12,000 BTU unit in the shop, I did the framing and installed the case, but had to wait on a younger brother to come visit to help me lift the unit and put it in the case. And I recently had to move some folding tables. The largest one is something I can carry by myself, but it's tough. So I told my son-in-law to get one end and I'd get the other. Danged 39 year old kid said, "I'll get it", grabbed it in the middle and walked off with it like it was nothing.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] There was a 5 HP electric motor on the bench at my neighbor's shop not too long ago. All I did was pick it up and sort of shove it to the back part of the benchtop, and you'd have thought I tried to lift the back end of my pickup the way my lower back reacted the next day. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I find that now that I'm sixty-five, WISDOM is more important than IMPULSE when it comes to lifting stuff around. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I see these reality shows where these young guys wrestle heavy stuff like crab pots and breakout tongs and I think: "Hmmmmm... I used to do stuff like that!" I would think absolutely nothing about loading a truck and trailer load of baled hay; catching the bales off the side conveyor that brought them up from the ground; with out so much as a stop-and-swig. 312 bales; all placed strategically so that they interlocked. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I'm a firm believer in Chiropractic and as such keep my chassis in as good alignment as I can to prevent wear on my suspension. I've got a lot of miles on me so I'm careful to not let something run outa line for very long. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Gee, after reading this stuff I am starting to get concerned about how I will fare when I get old. It doesn't sound like very much fun.

I already have my small disappointments, now and then. Just today a buddy and I were trying to sneak up on a week old bull calf of his out in one of my pastures. I managed to get close enough to make a dive and grab a hind foot. I got a two handed grip on the right rear leg just above the hoof BUT the calf took off and dragged me and even trying as best I could the little thing pulled its leg away from my two handed "death grip." All I got for my effort was road rash on my left elbow, right through a long sleeved shirt.

Prior to this a few weeks ago we roped one and it was all the two of us could do to hold the rope. Had to get it tied off to a post in the barn before it got away. The two of us could barely hold him down long enough to tie its feet together.

I already have visions of cargo nets to yank up when the target animal walks across it.

I notice my grip is beginning to fail me. I used to be able to pick up a bathroom scale with both hands and slowly squeeze it till I maxed out at 300 lbs or more but those days seem to be gone.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Sure would have liked to see a video of you hanging onto that calf's leg. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] And it's been many years since I tried the trick with gripping the bathroom scales with 2 hands. Naturally, your post made me have to go try it again. I only got it to 120. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

It's a pride thing. We think we have to be tough. But CJDave hit the nail on the head: as we get older we should get smarter. Why pull a muscle or permanently hurt yourself when you can ask for help? And if that younger guy still has to prove something, let him. But what if that youngun hurt himself? Hey, all you did was ask for help- not for him to be some glory seeker and do it alone.
    I will gladly trade physical strength for brain power as the years go by. Then all can climb the mountain and seek out my wisdom. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

But when you ain't got nothing to trade what then?? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Bird, I guess it is a good thing that it is summer and not the middle of winter 'cause I might have said something about sticking your tongue to the pump handle!

I can still get the scales well over 200 (by squeezing) but if I want to get them to 250 I have to stand on them (unfortunately.)

I was not doing so good energy wise for a while. I could hardly do anything without huffing and puffing and I made lots of musical notes when I inhaled and exhaled. Went to family doctor who sent me to pulmonologist. I was on three meds including an inhaler twice a day. I tapered off as per instructions on the one med and stopped the second by instruction. Then on my own after I started to feel a lot better I cut the inhaler to once a day instead of twice and a week later stopped it altogether. I am pretty much OK now.

I didn't like the side effects listed for the inhaler: 1. glaucoma 2. death (in some cases)

My lung capacity tests said I had the lung capacity of a 120 year old. Then 6 weeks later I was 90% of normal and now even better. The return to normal has reduced my embarrassment regarding loss of physical capability but it still peeves me that I can't do what I did even 10 years ago.

Oh well, I'm glad to be above ground and still able to TRY to calf wrestle. I can still reach over the side of the pickup bed and yank out a 5 gal bucket of feed (only about 32 lbs) but I don't hold it out at arms length very long and thats for sure.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"