Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Embarrassment

Re: Embarrassment

Pat, I do a lot of huffing and puffing myself if I do any work. However, my two brothers are 5 and 6 years younger than I. The younger of the two had his second little heart attack and a stint installed late last summer and the older of the two had a stint installed last month. I've never had an angiogram, stint, etc. so far.

Bird, My dad died at age 51 from a heart attack. I have been to the emergency ward with a suspected heart attack (it wasn't one) and now I know how to distinguish a severe heartburn/indigestion from a heart attack.

Take a good hit on a bottle of antacid or pop a couple Tums. Instant relief ensues if it is indigestion and no relief if it is your heart.

It is scary waking up in the middle of the night thinking you are having a heart attack when actually it is indigestion but you had never had the experience before and didn't know any better.

Well, there is good daylight now so I will be gone out to install a water trough and automatic float valve.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Gosh, Pat, another place we're much alike. In June, 1975, we were attending a Northwestern University Traffic Institute re-training seminar in Shreveport, LA, when I had a severe attack of chest pain, numbness in my jaw on the left side (in fact, the whole side of my face), and numbness in my left arm. So I got to the emergency room of a hospital and spent 20 hours flat of my back in a coronary care unit hooked up to all kinds of wires and tubes. The chest pains went away pretty soon and my personal diagnosis is that I hyperventilated. Anyway, after 20 hours my back hurt so bad, I told them that I was getting out of there, and did so. The doctors tried to convince my wife that I'd had a heart attack, gave us a bottle of nitro pills and said if I was going to insist on leaving, to get home and get checked out in Dallas. So several days later, in Dallas, I did a stress test and all that good stuff, and learned that I have a hiatal hernia. The doctor prescribed Gaviscon, which I used for a few months before quitting. Then for a long time, I took Alka-Seltzer every night before going to bed. I finally quit that, also. I learned many years ago that when I have an attack of severe chest pain, all I need is a couple of big swallows of a carbonated drink, I burp, and the pain is gone instantly. I never go anywhere (not even to the grocery store 2 miles away) without a 7-Up or Sprite in the car. I may need it 2 days in a row, or not need it for a month or more. It can happen while I'm sitting here at the computer, or wake me in the middle of the night; no identifiable pattern, it can happen anywhere and anytime, but relatively infrequently. It can be a terrific pain, but at least, I know what to do about it.

Bird, What size shoe do you wear? Just kidding, probably smaller than my size 13 but gee man, the similarities just go on and on and on. You got any relatives from Mississippi?

I have made two emergency rushes to the ER for "heart attacks" but now that I know how to disambiguate between a heart attack (never had one) and painful indigestion or the like, I can "FIX" the problem quickly with Mylanta, or tums or...

I have had it twice in a day or two days in a row but more likely go for months between incidents or clusters of incidents. I have heard all the suggestions about tilting the bed and taking Mylanta (or similar) as a preventative and such. Between events or clusters of events I typically do nothing. Sometimes I give myself heartburn from bouncing around in the tractor. I typically have a fanny pack and if not wearing it, take it with me like a purse. Among other "just in case" items like my .45 ACP "baby Glock", I carry a roll of Tums.

My family doctor is a fellow sufferer. He says if he gets up in the middle of the night to pee, (with no symptoms) he takes a small swig of Mylanta. If he has symptoms he takes a big swig.

Pat

I guess that's where the differences start, Pat. I just wear a 9 1/2 shoe and no relatives from Mississippi that I know of. And I just never did like Tums or Mylanta, although I have tried them and guess they worked to some extent. A 7-Up works better for me, although Cola or beer work just fine, too.

Bird, I sure don't like Mylanta's taste but it gives me INSTANT relief. Tums aren't too bad in the fruit flavors, give me pretty quick relief and they are very convenient to carry. I haven't have many episodes in the last year or so maybe 2-3 and a couple bonus sessions due to overly enthusiastic tractor work.

Pat

I have always had acid indigestion. Several years ago I had the privilege of an endoscope which showed what the doctor referred to as Class Three type symptoms. He put me on a drug called Losec and all has been well since. Last year another endoscope and indications of great improvement. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, I wonder if your endoscope is the same as the esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) I had at the same time I had a colonoscopy on 4/17/08. The same doctor did the same procedure 5 years ago, said I had "two erosions at the EG junction less than 5mm in length which is consistent with LA grade esophagitis" (whatever that means). Anyway, he prescribed 40mg of Protonix daily, so I'm currently taking that. Now of course, he also told me it's the same as it was 5 years ago. In other words, it ain't gotten any better or any worse without the Protonix. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Egon, I used to have a "cast iron" stomach. I could eat anything with no bad outcome except sometimes with really hot foods which could later make me wish I had followed up with ice cream (not stomach upset but later on.)

Now certain spicy things sometimes cause a little indigestion problem easily handled by antacids. The upset is not predictable as two or three times a certain spicy dish will cause no problem and then another time it will. I haven't noticed a pattern so I don't know why many times it will be OK and seemingly at random it will "get me." So long as it is easy to fix with antacids I don't worry about it.

Now then about aging and loss of brute strength and soreness from exertion... I hooked up a 150 gallon water tank to a hose and float valve. Stock were sort of tripping on the hose so I new I had to have a better situation. I picked up the side of the nearly full tank and dumped the water out. A full tank weighs well over 1200 lbs. I then set up the tank with one end (it is sort of oval shaped) against the well house and ran the hose through the wall where the stock could never step on it. I didn't use a level and GOT IT WRONG. Tank filled to the brim on the low side and when a cow got a drink water splashed over the low side. Didn't suit me to have that water wasting and super mud producing system so once again I grabbed the side of the tank and strained mightily to tip it enough to start pouring out water and eventually rolled the tank over emptying it completely.

A little FEL and shovel work interspersed with 4 ft spirit level checks and I got it right. This morning I notice more back pain than usual. I always have back pain but the degree changes depending on many variables. Apparently advancing age is one of the variables. Uh, maybe trying to lift a really heavy weight is one too.

Pat

Chances are its about the same thing Bird with a little different terminology. All I know is that there were raw spots that disappeared after the six months of Losec.

The clonoscopy showed diverticulitis. Due to ongoing inflammations on the descending portion of the colon I had a bowel resection last winter. Still feel quite week after that and no endurance. This thing had been slowly dragging me down for about four to five years I figure. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]