Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Embarrassment

Re: Embarrassment

Egon, I believe the couple of polyps I had removed in April was a lot easier on me than your bowel resection. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Although on 5/29/08, I had a little rear end surgery that was probably just about as bad. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Hey, I stubbed my toe last month an it hurt really bad.

Yeah, and I got these really tight shoes!
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

You guys just keep this up all day i bet!! Oh well guess the rest of us poor souls can learn from the experience and give up our seats on the bus for you, and not grouse about discount cards at wallys world!

They are going off on a smoking thing here at work. They say cigs cause death 20% of the time. Last time i thought about it the only think that causes death 100% of the time is birth, so maybe 'they' should ban that!! Dad used to say ' too soon we grow old and too late we gro smart'. Do not mind the grease on the other side of the hill, but those bumps in the road really hurt!!

Best doctor in the world has had what you have and has gone thru treatment for it.
    No fun, change the rules!!!

One of the problems with statistics is that over 90% of the people don't really understand them more than 10% of the time .

Like walking across the street without looking either way, smoking tends to reduce yoiur lifespan. Just because it doesn't kill you right away doesn't make it safe.

There is NO DOUBT that tobacco use is not healthy. Joking and playing games is just whistling in the dark.

I had this same conversation with my mom several times. She died from lung cancer in '06. I don't recommend it.

Pat

Pat, of course I'm sorry about your mother dying of lung cancer, but I'll bet there's no scientific evidence that smoking was actually the cause. I think you're talking about anecdotal evidence only, and in that regard, I can give you plenty of evidence to the contrary.

My Dad smoked most of his life; died at the age of 80. His dad never smoked at all; died at the age of 80. Dad's mother never smoked, was adamantly against smoking; died of lung cancer at the age of 73. Dad's oldest sister smoked for a couple of years as a young woman, then quit. She died of lung cancer 40 years later at the age of 64.

Second hand smoke?? My Mother never smoked; said she tried it one time AND LIKED IT! But decided it would be too expensive. However, she grew up with a father who smoked, was married for 58 years to a man who smoked, so she lived with a smoker until she was 75 when my Dad died, and she died (not of cancer) at the age of 85. No one else in my family EVER lived past 80!

So all the anecdotal evidence I have indicates that smoking is better for you than not smoking. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

But do I recommend smoking? Nope. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I smoked for 47 years; quit a little over 2 years ago. My wife smoked for over 40 years and finally quit just a little over one year ago. But I didn't quit for health reasons; I quit because (1) it got too expensive, and (2) it's a dirty habit; the house and car stay cleaner when you don't smoke. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Is my health any better since I quit? Not one bit. If anything it's worse. Do I attribute my health declining to quitting smoking? Nope; I attribute it to getting older. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Yep, all anecdotal evidence only, but evidence in which I actually have more confidence that what the medical profession has been selling.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Bird, it's like so many things.... one guy can slurp up ten ounces and it's like candy to him; another guy sips just six drops and he goes into toxic shock. We are SO DIFFERENT chemically that our reactions vary tremendously when we ingest or breathe substances; even gases. I have no doubt that there would be instances where a good slug of Red Man each day would be a life-saving measure; it COULD happen. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Jazzdad I agree 100%. You have nothing to prove when you reach your golden years. Let the young bucks brake their backs while you take the easy route (paying them to do it for you). [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Bird, Lets just agree to disagree on the science behind the effects of smoking. I personally believe that, in aggregate, the effects of smoking are easily demonstrated to be deleterious to human health. We have the statistics. Insurance companies keep a close look at the statistics.

Selecting particular individuals who lived this long or that long and did or didn't smoke or get second hand smoke is NOT GOOD SCIENCE. My mom was 86 when diagnosed and died within about 6 months. It is entirely possible she may have died sooner if she had not smoked. Unlikely but possible. Making gross judgments for the overall effects across a population based on a few individuals is just not statistically sound.

I don't want to argue the topic as it is a hot button for so many people who have emotional positions to which they will hold irrespective of the overwhelming preponderance of good science and statistics that give credence to the opposite view.

To me it is extremely frustrating to note the lack of understanding exhibited by so many otherwise seemingly intelligent people. Of course I feel that way about the proponents of "creation science" too when they tell me that long ago light was way slower than it is now and that is why it "seems" like some stars are so far away their light took millions of years to get here which they claim is totally untrue given the universe was created about 6000 years ago. Oh, and I really like the part of their spiel about how the fossils were created in place in the various rock strata and not by geologic processes over time.

I find little difference in the level of scientific understanding in the proponents of creation science and the folks holding certain views on the health effects of tobacco.

I guess we finally found something where we are not close to congruent.

Pat

Yep, Pat, we'll have to just agree to disagree this time. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] And, nope, I don't have any emotional position on the topic except I, long ago, got tired of a great deal of the medical profession blaming every ailment known to mankind on smoking. And when you refer to "good science", I guess that depends on who determines what is "good science" and what is not. How many things can you think of that were considered "good science" at one time, but were debunked later. I guess the earth being flat may be one of the earliest examples of "good science" that turned out to not be so good. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] And the list actually gets quite long.