Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No paper down toilet

No paper down toilet

So I rent a house in the country and after I move in the landlords say, "By the way, we did tell you not to put any paper down the toilet?" There is a consortium of landlords so everyone assumed someone had told me. Has something to do with a very old septic system (built in 1944) that they fear will back up.

So with a wife and two daughters, that just is not going to happen. So is there a product that I can put down the toilet to aid the TP in dissolving? Or perhaps a TP brand that easily breaks down?
    Best Regards,
    Highsmith

Re: No paper down toilet

I think you'll find not putting paper down the toilet to not be unusual for folks with septic systems, whether right or wrong. But I don't have an answer for you.

I agree thats about half stupid. You might want to try the special RV paper thats supposed to dissolve readily.

This also kind of reminds me of a sign in the head in a boat I went out fishing on in Alaska in 1990. The sign said, "Do not put anything in the toilet unless you have eaten it first." [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] The big problem with having chicks in the house is that they have a tendency to make a little "beehive" out of TP by winding it around the closely grouped fingers on one hand, then dab themselves dry with the beehive and then drop it in the water. They actually use more paper when they pee than when they go #2, and the beehive-shaped paper wad is more concentrated. How about having a flip-top container standing by for the beehives and only allow the paper with the brown skid marks go down the sewer. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave,
    That's amazing. I've been married for 35 yrs, have 3 daughters (all over 18) and have NEVER got into the details of why they use so much darn TP. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Same goes for medical info. When they call and first thing they do is ask to talk to Mom (RN), I just pass the phone over and leave the room. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

It's not uncommon in Europe to have a 'no paper' policy, due to old sewage systems.

My father, an RVer, illustrated a test for TP: take a few sheets, "behived" or not, and put them in a canning jar with some water. Put the lid on and shake it up. The paper that breaks down into a near-solution will be better for RV holding tanks and septic systems. Some paper brands, following this test, stay nearly intact.

We've recently had problems with our toilets backing up and such, so we have since tried to do the same thing, no paper in the toilet. I'm not sure if it has helped or not, I think we are probably going to have to do some digging, if you know what I mean, to sort out the true problem.

All over the USA and plan overseas when I retire
    Its actually quite simple and while some of you guys do have a point, I will break it down for you....we do not want pee (or other, think "that time of the month" on our hand). I fully agree with the stand alone trash bin if needed though, some girls do get really out of hand when it comes to that (not this one).

Scott's makes a toilet paper for RVs that breaks down better and faster than any other. It might be hard to find but that is what you need. I'm sure there are other brands out there, too, but that's the one I've seen in the supermarkets.