Thread: Setting posts on center?

Setting posts on center?

I would like to start out by saying this site is very informative. I am gonna be building a 32x40x10 pole barn. So after setting my outside 4 posts at 31'9"x39'9 where will I set my intermediate posts at? For 32x40 4' oc would be perfect but after setting the posts in some allowing room for the wall girts 4' oc won't come out even. Do I just put them at 4' oc and the last one will be off? Thx.

Re: Setting posts on center?

Any input is appreciated. Thx.

Mike, when you say 32x40, are you talking about inside dimensions of the building? And I think we'd need more information. What kind of posts are you using? Square, round, dimensions? And what are you using for the girts? And I'm no expert, so I don't know whether I could give you much help even then.

Yes 32x40 outside dimensions so you would be setting your corners in for it to be exactly 32x40 outside. By setting the posts in some it is gonna throw off your on center. Anyone have a diagram or something showing a layout of posts with all the measurements? Thx, appreciate all the info. Mike.

I would setup every post on the long side on 4 oc, then move in the corner posts to compensate for half the post width + girt. The odd dimension would then only between the end posts and 1st intermediate post from each end. This would give you your exact 40' length from outside of end girt to outside of end girt and line posts spaced exactly 4' oc. The width of the barn would then be setup the same way, so you're girt-girt measurement is 32'. On the end wall, 4' oc probably isn't as criitical depending on the width of your main door (if you have one). Assuming a 10' wide door, that leaves 22' or 11' on either side (if it's centered). (That's only 2 post widths between the door and side wall at 4' oc.) The posts on either side of your door would go all the way to the roof and provide support for the 2x door frame. You could then just equally space the remaining 2 posts (also extending to the roofline) to either side of the door frame. As for exact dimensions: Depends on size of post: 4x6? 6x6?