Thread: Compressed Air Trick

Compressed Air Trick

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Not too long ago my neighbor and I were struggling to get some badly corroded bolts out of a corn planter using an air impact wrench. Of course we were working outdoors and the length of air hose needed to reach was considerable. His compressor has a big reel of hose on it all the time so wether we are near or far doesn't matter, the air still has a long way to go, and that reduces the pressure to the impact wrench. Sooooo.... just recently I made an "Air Boost" setup that enhances the air supply to the impact wrench. Basically the Air Boost is a nine-gallon portable tank and an air "Wye fitting". The wye fitting has a 3/8" outlet and two 1/4" inlets. There is ten feet of 3/8" hose that feeds the impact gun from the wye fitting. The wye fitting is fed by the portable tank and the hose from the compressor. So I hook it all up and wait till the compressor has completely charged the portable tank, and when that has occurred, I can go to work. The air supply is now coming from two sources and friction losses are reduced. For the first half minute or so I have tons of power from that impact tool as both air sources team up and feed that WYE fitting. Then I wait till the portable tank recovers and do it all over again. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Re: Compressed Air Trick

CJDave

I did something similar. I bought a replacement 12 gallon tank that has a handle and wheels. I have a 1/2" quick connect fitting mounted to a ball valve as an inlet. I have a pressure regulator that tees to 1/4" and 3/8" quick connectors. I set the pressure regulator on the big compressor to 125 psi and run 1/2" hose out to the tank. I set the pressure on the tank to whatever I need for the tool I'm using. The tank rolls easy to where I need it and is light enough that I can carry it upstairs to whatever apartment I am doing work in. I have a 3/4" to 1/2" adapter so that I can use it with my diesel powered compressor also.

RonL

Re: Compressed Air Trick

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I LIKE the "wheels" feature of your setup! I can see that four little casters would make my booster tank follow me around better as I move from stuck bolt to stuck bolt and punish them with the air impact wrench. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave