Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $$$PIE$$$

Re: $$$PIE$$$

I wouldn't disagree much with you, Jim, although I'd put the peach cobbler a little bit ahead of the blackberry cobbler. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

My grandson and I picked a gallon of mulberries, and made a cobbler. It was the best I have ever eaten.

I never heard of anyone cooking with mulberries. In fact, it seems that, except for the fruitless mulberry trees, everyone alway wanted to get rid of the mulberry trees because of the mess the birds make. But when I was a kid there was a big mulberry tree beside my grandparents' garage in Ardmore, OK, and I really liked just eating the fresh berries.

OK, I finally got around to digging out the "OTHER" pecan pie recipe.

Pecan Icebox Pie

3 large egg whites at room temp
    2/3 cup (can use a full cup) sugar
    1 tsp baking powder
    Three quarters of a cup of chopped pecans
    24 HiHo crackers rolled into fine crumbs
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    One half of a pint Cool Whip (can use whipped cream)

Beat egg whites in small narrow bowl on high speed till stand in soft peaks.
    Gradually add sugar a table spoon full at a time while beating.

Add the baking powder and fold in most of the nuts (1/2 cup or so), reserving some to cover the top.

Fold in the cracker crumbs, and vanilla. Spoon the mixture into a 9 inch greased pie pan and bake in 350 degree preheated oven for 20-25 min.

Cool on a wire rack. Top with Cool Whip (or whipped cream) and cover with chopped nuts. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Making the previous day and refrigerating overnight is OK. Makes up to 8-9 servings for regular folks or 4 servings (or less) for some of us.

This is NOT expected to compete directly with regular southern pecan pie. Instead it is another type of pie made with pecans. It is not so loaded with sugar and has no egg yolks.

It is quite good. Some like it with black coffee or iced coffee. I just like it.

OK, it is not the super sugar rush of a REAL SOUTHERN STYLE pecan pie but it is a good pie in its own right. I hope you like it!

Oh by the way... I had to write out 3/4 and 1/2 because the "SYSTEM" turned my fractions into gibberish. Is it just me or do others have this problem?

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 2/3, 1/3, 1/64, 1/32.

Were you pasting from word or office sometimes that causes it to do weird things.
    Hi Ho crackers ain't seen one of those in years. But I remember a fad where everyone was making fake apple pie from saltine crackers.

HiHos

<font color="blue"> </font color> Pat &amp; Jim, weren't the ole HiHos like the ritz crackers today! I remember HiHos but can't recall what they looked/tasted like! Wife gonna try the pie recipe ASAP! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> </font color>

Yeah Jim, That's it. The application automagically takes your hand crafted fractions and turns them into little fractions which don't translate so good on this site.

Faux apple pie? Why? There is a good reason for the "ALTERNATIVE" pecan pie. What if you want a pie with lots of pecans, pecan crunch, pecan flavor BUT... need (or want) to dodge the egg yolks and some of the sugar? Then this alternative pecan pie is better by far than doing without.

I suppose if you wanted something vaguely like apple pie and had no apples the faux pie would be better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

I forgot to mention that you can substitute Splenda (sugar substitute made from sugar) for some or all of the sugar in the alternative pecan pie.

Pat

Re: HiHos

roho, Please post your comments on how the alternative pecan pie turns out. Also if she deviates any from the plain vanilla recipe let us know what she did differently.

Ritz crackers so far as my memory serves are quite similar to HiHO crackers.

Pat

Yo, ROHO...

What about the pie?

Pat

I'd overlooked a number of posts in this thread that were posted while we were in WV last month. Pat, my younger daughter got a recipe from her mother-in-law for "Buttermilk Pecan Pie". She made one and gave it to me. It wasn't bad enough for me to throw it away. But it wasn't good enough for me to want the recipe either. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]