Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $$$PIE$$$

Re: HiHos

HEY THANKS FOR BRINGing THAT BAC UP! SEEMS LIKE My sweet bride of 3 decades put it on bac burner & my ole forgetful mind FORGOT! She's been grandmawing with the litter all this week so as soon as she gets bac I'm gonna ask what ASAP means! But I will ask politely! Thanks again PAT & Bird!

Re: $$$PIE$$$

Now I want some pie.

Pecan is okay for me but peach cobbler ROCKS! I'm sure it doesn't cost them $32 to make the pie. I don't mind them making a profit but the prices are way off the charts. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> </font color> Well BOYS YOU ain't goona beleive what's happening while we're waitin on the Hurrycane to hit...or maybe just the fringe end hit! Yeap, My bride is actually mixin up the PIE! She worked all day &amp; packed in supper &amp; started mixin de $$$PIE$$$! I'm sure she'll tell me when I can taste it so if de hurrycane don't get us, I'll report back about pie! <font color="blue"> </font color> [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Well aBOUT 9PM CST, I tried that Pecan IceBox PIE! DAAA AM guys dat was good! Sure is different &amp; SURE is GOOD! Glad Wife got it mixed up &amp; served! BTW well it looks like we sidestepped the storm down here on Tex coast. A M tomorrow will tell full story <font color="blue"> </font color>

Hey man, You are a multiple winner!!! You dodged the her I cane AND you got THE PIE. Glad to hear you liked it. It is definitely NOT traditional southern Pecan Pie and is not intended to be or to compete with it but in its own right it is still a good desert.

Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

WOW U ain't gonna believe this &amp; I don't even remember where to start! We missed GoosedOFF but IKE ran right UP our rears! I don't know if I'm coming or going &amp; whether I already told my story BUT when IKE headed this away we headed to NorthEast Louisiana(Jena) &amp; spent 2 weeks with my DaD! The best part of the Whole HurryCane was MY Wife made 2 of those Pecan IceBox Pies &amp; Me &amp; my ole widower DaD had both pies to ourselves! We dodged the storm with very little damage( lost 3 trees &amp; a little water damage) but lots of folks weren't as lucky...You'd just have to see it to believe it! The news doesn't even justify it!

Roho, stuff can be replaced or gotten along without. The best news is that none of you were injured!

I'll take our tornadoes and not complain rather than exchange them for hurricanes. Likewise earth quakes, I'd rather have to prepare for tornadoes than suffer hurricanes or earthquakes. There are limits to tornado sizes and a shelter capable of protecting you from the worst is not all that tough to build. You might lose phones and power but still no big deal. There is no practical way to prepare for LARGE earthquakes and there is no practical upper limit to them. Hurricanes force evacuations of large areas with many thousands of folks displaced. Even though hurricane winds don't come close to a strong tornado I prefer the tornado defense compared to hurricane effects.

Glad you guys got your pies AND escaped major problems.

On a 10 point scale where a really good southern style pecan pie is a solid 9, how high would you rate the ice box version?

Pat

PAT U'r absolutely right about the earthquates &amp; HurryCanes &amp; what worries me is when folks go thro a hurricane &amp; not get much damage &amp; then decide to stay for the next one! They get lured into a false sense of security &amp; then the BIG one comes! On the pecan pies, I'm pretty much with YOU on ole fashion southern peeCAN pie being a solid 9 &amp; the pecan icebox pie being maybe a stong 7..It's different but darn it's good! &amp; the only experience I have with tonados are with Dorthy &amp; ToTo...

I immediately thought of the tag line I have seen...

"I plan to live forever, and so far so good!"

There are a significant number of folks in tornado country (actually there have been tornadoes in every state in the union) who just ignore tornado preparation/avoidance. They just go to bed and don't worry about it. Given the one significant hit per 4000 years statistics it is easy to see how they could go that route. BUT WHAT IF THIS IS YOUR YEAR????

My wife had lived in Florida and California (her dad worked at Cape Canaveral and later at JPL in Pasadena) so was exposed to hurricanes and earth quakes but had quite a bit of concern for tornadoes. She agreed to retire in Oklahoma because I promised her a house that would allow her to go to bed at night and NOT need a NOAH weather radio to alert her to tornadoes nor would she need to watch TV to get safety related weather info. Our master suite is a safe room (except the sitting room.) Our bedroom, bath, and walk-in closets are our safe room. We have similar accommodations as a guest room (12 inch steel reinforced concrete walls, even more massive ceiling and a very heavy steel door with triple deadbolts.)

What a stress reliever to have a really safe bedroom. I can not envision conditions that would mandate evacuation due to tornadic damage. Our home is situated such that it is not subject to flooding. The 1000 ft contour meanders through our property and although not sited near the highest of our property it would be virtually impossible to get flood damage. Even if the polar ice caps entirely melt I think we will be well above the high water mark and still quite a ways to drive to get to the beach.

I like cooked spinach and I like raw spinach. Both are spinach but so different as to defy comparison. Each is good in its own right. I think the two pecan pies are a lot like that. They are not in a direct competition. They are two entirely different desserts which are both good and happen to both feature pecans as a main ingredient.

Oh by the way... Dorothy's ugly little dog was named Todo.

Regarding the decision to stay when the smart guys all tell you to get out of Dodge... Shortly before Mt. Saint Hellens blew its top folks were being told to get out but not everyone chose to leave. What a stupid loss of life, just set there and hope when the balloon goes up somehow you will be OK. If evacuation is too inconvenient how do you rate being incinerated or squashed under a mud flow?

Folks are alerted to evacuate in hurricane situations based on the best guess of the weather guys. The science is not perfect so sometimes an area that is evacuated is not hit very hard. That breeds contempt for the weather alerts which results in idiots staying next time and risking death over inconvenience.

Pat

"Oh by the way... Dorothy's ugly little dog was named Todo."

Huh? Everything I've ever seen had the spelling as "Toto". Quick check this AM seemed to confirm. I DO agree it was ugly [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]