Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "No! Don't ..." days

The \"No! Don\'t ...\" days

My daughter's cat, Rudy, came from a family with 2 children; a 4-year-old, and a toddler. Rudy was just a kitten, and apparently, very impressionable. I answered the classified ad about this free kitten, because Jenny had been wanting one, and I was feeling magnanimous. The ad read:

FREE KITTEN TO GOOD HOME. HAS BEEN SPAYED, HAS ALL SHOTS. MUST GO DUE TO FAMILY ALLERGY.

I went and retrieved the kitten, a little gray-streaked thing with huge eyes, and presented her to Jenny as a gift. Three days later I was informed by Jenny that she knew she had a cat, but she had learned little about her.

"What'd'ya mean?"

"She stays under my bed, won't let me come near her, and won't let me pick her up. She yowls and cries and meows until I put her down."

"Well, give her some time. She needs to settle in."

Six weeks later nothing had changed. When I picked the cat up, she squirmed and growled and hissed, and was not at all the sweet, cuddly kitten I had hoped for. The words to the ad ran in my mind over and over ... had the family been allergic to the cat? or had the cat been allergic to the humans? I watched the cat slink around the house, constantly watching over her shoulder, going from under one piece of furniture to another, and I moped; she was a faulty cat, no two ways about it.

She had shed her kitten look by now and was long and slinky, and even better at being evasive than she was when she first came to us. She seemed content enough; would stretch out in a patch of sunshine in the floor and play with whatever little tidbit she found to play with. She romped around the house chasing her tail and played with Frog, the mutt, for hours on end. She seemed to love that dog, and even slept with him, but if I went to try and pet her, she would spring away, tossing a dirty look over her shoulder.

What did Frog have that I didn't have? He stunk, and licked his own butt. He would eat any dead thing he found in the yard, or roll in it. He was the anti-cat. Nasty, dirty, bad breath, and would eat all her food if we didn't watch him. I got to wondering what Frog had that we didn't have, and came to the conclusion that it was not what he had, but what he didn't have.

Hands.

I was whisked back to a time when I had a 4-year-old and a toddler in the house. I remember saying, "No! Don't pick the kitty up by her tail!" and "No! Don't hold the kitty upside down!" and "The kitty does not want to wear your baby doll clothes, honey!"

I thought of the ad again, and suspected that had it been truthful, it would have read:

FREE TRAUMATIZED KITTEN TO GOOD HOME. HAS BEEN PICKED UP BY HER HEAD, DRAGGED BY HER TAIL, AND DRESSED IN BABY CLOTHES. MUST GO FOR HER OWN GOOD.

I ran into Jenny later in the day and offered the following advice:

"You ever want that cat to love you, don't chase after her, and don't pet her. Whatever you do, don't pick her up at any time for any reason."

"Huh?"

"Just don't crowd her, let her alone."

"Well, that's not much fun. What good is it to have a pet that you can't pet?"

"You have a fish, do you pet him? Look, just trust me on this, okay?"

After about 3 months the most miraculous thing happened. I was lying in bed about 2 a.m. when I felt small paws walking across my stomach. Frog, who was lying beside me, lifted his head, sighed noisily, and went back to sleep while Rudy curled herself in a ball on my chest, purring. I lifted my hand cautiously to pet her, and she rubbed her face against my hand and I knew that she had found her peace.

Nowadays, it's all we can do to keep her off of us. We sit, she's in our laps. We love on her and she loves on us. We are still not allowed to pick her up; some things apparently take longer to get over than others, but for the most part she's the loving cat I wanted. All it took was a little patience and a vivid, unbidden memory of the "No! Don't ..." days.

Re: The \"No! Don\'t ...\" days

Once again you have done it. Quite a talent you have there. Even i can understand the feelings, although personally, cats belong outside, in the barn or where ever they can be useful. Love my dog dearly, but even she sleeps on the floor. Especially if has been romping in the barn finding special 'fibrous recycled treats'!

Seems like most creatures can be 'ruined' by their ealy life experiences.
    No fun, change the rules!!!

Very good Cindy. You've certainly not lost your way with words.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Thanks, Gary!

EF, Frog is only allowed to sleep on my bed after he's been bathed. He knows the rules. Maybe two or three times a month ... we both look forward to those days. Rudy does go in and out now, and she only sleeps on the foot of the bed. But back when she was going through her shy stage, she was allowed to roam pretty much wherever she wanted. Now she comes too near and I just gently push her away. She respects that nudge.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Great story Cindi. Animals need you to understand them, and give them their own space, and then they always respond to TLC. I have a formerly feral cat, who would visit my farm daily. I was determined to become pals with him, but he was totally feral and wanted no part of people. It took me a year to be able to touch him, and even then he wasn't happy about it , so I named him Cranky. Now, years later, Cranky is one of my best pals. He knows my routine, and where I'll be on the farm at what time, and he waits for me, and demands to be picked up. He's often hanging on my shoulder while I do my chores. Cranky is also the best mouser and ratter that I've ever seen. He'll find rats almost as big as he is, he grabs them by the neck, and in one shake he breaks their neck. Most mornings he leaves 3 (always 3) rats or mice lined up in front of the door to my milkhouse. He lines them up all facing the same direction, it's amazing, he must spend quite some time arranging them. We used to have quite a rodent problem, but we don't anymore. Of course we have 11 other cats, but Cranky is the boss of them all, and by far the best rodent catcher.

You did good with Rudy, he wanted to be loved, but on his own terms. That's they way most cats are.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

HI RICH!

I thought I might hear from you. How's the goat business going ... any better?

Hi Cindi!!!

Livestock farming in general is not doing well, and my goat farm is no exception. Feed prices have tripled in the past two years. Hay prices have doubled. Plus dairy farmers have to pay for the transportation of their milk, and you know what is happening to gas prices. There's no way to make a profit. I'm trying to get a deal with a very local cheese processor to transport my milk to. If I can work the deal, we'll hang on....for now.
    Rich

I wish you the best, of anybody can do it you and Karen can.

Thanks Cindi!!! We're trying!!!
    Rich

What a cool story. Your patiences is a lot better than mine, for sure! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]