Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To FIX, or not to FIX.

To FIX, or not to FIX.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I am by nature a "fixer". I'll drill out the holes and tap them to a larger size and find screws that fit and that will hold the case together instead of tossing a drill in the trash. And even THEN when I do toss a drill I salvage the final drive arbor and the chuck to use as an extension. So that's kind of my approach to stuff; tossing it is a last resort. HOWEVER, there are limits to everything, and sooner or later I have to be "hard" or I would need a much bigger place to park all this stuff. It is getting so hard to find "good" stuff; stuff that isn't made in China to the lowest standards of quality; that auction sales and even antique stores have become my prime sources for good tools. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] There ARE some things that you can rebuild endlessly, so unless getting a new clothes dryer is key to enhancing your r'lationship, don't buy a new one. The washer, on the other hand is way more pesky to fix, and unless it's something simple, you're probably going to have to get it repaired by others, or replace it. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] MOST power tools have either bad brushes, or a bearing has gone dry. Both of those problems can be fixed fairly easily as long as the tool wasn't otherwise damaged. I find that when I bring a drill or a saw home from an auction sale, that it is best to take it apart, clean it up, and repack the bearings. I also make any repairs to the cord or outright replace it before the cord can give trouble. Usually people wind the cord too tightly around the tool and wreck the strain relief section. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Older table saws with cast iron tables are usually worth fixing, HOWEVER, on some models the motors are special-to-that-tool and replacements are hard to come by. Just about any air compressor is worth fixing as long as the tank isn't rusted to where it will "pinhole" soon. You can buy a two-cylinder compressor, with flywheel, for anywhere from a hundred to three hundred depending on how big it is, and how many stages it has. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I know it's a greasy mess, but nothing can restore the power of a conventional in-line or Vee configuration car or truck engine like replacing the timing chain and sprockets. That is one "fix" that will convince you to keep the vehicle for another hundred thousand miles. If you have a water pump seal go out, and you have to "go in" anyway, consider replacing the timing chain. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Home air conditioners will run for ages and ages if you get out there and wash out the coils real good and clean up the interior of the condensing unit so it can handle the air better. A condenser fan motor is less than a hundred bucks, and you can pay for a set of refrigeration service gauges and the freon pretty easily by adding gas yourself when you give the unit it's the annual pre-season physical exam. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Some kitchen stuff is worth working on and some isn't. I have a Sunbeam Radiant Control Toaster that I just used this morning. This toaster was bought new by my parents in 1956, and I have overhauled it twice. I overhauled my Bunn coffee pot twice before it was too beat to go any farther. Mainly I had to remove deposits and touch up the electrical. Vacuum cleaners are easy to get parts for so if the unit is a good one, it's worth fixing. Also, when you see one sitting by the curb for the junk man; stop and cut the cord off of it. THEN go get a nice caged trouble light and put the newly-acquired vacuum cleaner cord on THAT. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Re: To FIX, or not to FIX.

Yesh, that's some of what I'm talking about! (See the thread I tried to hijack.)
    I used to pick up lawn mowers people would put out for the trash collection. Once, I got one that didn't have a full season on it. Looking that new, I knew exactly where to go first. I pulled the flywheel off, and sure enough, it was a sheared key. A 50 cent part, reassembled, and it started up on the first pull. And even if you got one that was really abused, you usually get parts for your stockpile.
    I collected lots of bicycle parts over the years, and cobbled together quite a few usable bikes. They weren't too bad looking after they were repainted.

Brand new Craftsman 16" chain saw at auction. No start, got it for $10. Broken wire in side casing. Have used it ever since. There are always some people out there that would rather not waste their time fixing stuff and just raplace it with new when it breaks down....and then there is the rest of us!!
    No fun, change the rules!!!

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] With three bike-age kids and not much money, the 80's were all about bike mix-n-match. We made lots and lots of good bikes out of free ones. I welded up various kinds of frames, we respoked wheels to put three speed center sections into 20" bikes, swapped crankshafts to get longer pedal stroke; you name it. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] One of my sons is a meter reader for a metropolitan water district and walks 120-miles each month. You would not BELIEVE the dozens and dozens of sockets he finds, along with other tools. Many of them are oriental junk, but some are good ones like New Britain and SK. He also keeps an eye out for cast-off mowers and appliances that are fixable. he has really scored on some of the stuff; just like that mower that had a broken key and the chainsaw with a broken wire. I got a free Kitchen Aid dishwasher that had a broken wire in it. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    CJDave

There are differences between bikes and bicycles! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Huge differences! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] They is? [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Er.... ah, ... I thought the word: "bike" was just shorthand for "bicycle" a term denoting a two-wheeled, operator-propelled, land vehicle? [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] The dictionary just says "bike" is "bicycle" no other explanation is given. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Oh it may be a two wheeled pedal powered land vehicle but it takes on many different forms. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The Tour De France is on at present and I'd be willing to say that the riders have at least three or four different bicycles to ride depending on what the conditions of the days stage are. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] These simple little machines may cost as much as a car. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and be usefully for riding in only one type of situation. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It's just like saying a car is a four wheeled apparatus for transporting people. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Look forward to seeing more of them on the road as fuel prices increase! [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] OH, yeah, I getcha. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Way back in the Plehistocene Epoch when I attended college we all rode bikes because the campus was so spread out. I met a guy who was on kind of a high-end ride and he mentioned that it cost 600 bucks; ....this was in the early sixties, mind you. I was astonished at the price, and then he said: "Here, pick up the bike." I lifted his bike and there was like NO WEIGHT. "That's why it cost 600 bucks." he said." [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] The frame members of that bike were actually thin in the midle and thicker at the joints. Tubular material that was drawn in such a way to achieve that weight-saving configuration..... YOW! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

The more you pay the less you get! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The more you pay the less you get!

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe that's the reason my bike was so heavy. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I only had one bicycle when I was a kid; got it for Christmas when I was 8 years old I think. I rode it until I got a drivers license, then my younger brothers, 5 and 6 years younger than I, rode it until they got drivers licenses. I didn't know until I was grown that my Dad got that bike, used, from his boss, cleaned it up and painted it, and I thought I had a new bike. But it had no name on it, had the upper bars (or whatever you call them on a boy's bike) side by side instead of one over the other (made it more comfortable for a second person to ride between the seat and handle bars). Even by 1940s standards, it was much heavier than the bikes all my friends had. And we discovered that the chain was longer than any bicycle chains made at the time; had to have 2 master links to splice an extra few inches.

But the upside to that weight was an almost indestructible bicycle. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] One crash destroyed the front wheel and another crash destroyed the handle bars, but I think the frame, sprockets, etc. stayed original.