Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody invest-ing/ed in "in hand" gold?

Re: Anybody invest-ing/ed in \"in hand\" gold?

Here is the basic problem I see in buying gold out of concern for anarchy, loss of value of paper money etc. and a few thoughts for when "times get tough."

Paper money has the full backing of the US government. Until or unless the Government is in near total disarray paper currency is as good as gold.

When/if the Gov goes beyond the point where paper money is useful the situation will be quite chaotic. Food distribution will be hard hit. A bushel of potatoes will be worth more than a hand full of gold. You can't eat gold. Gold will not be all that great of a medium of exchange. Food NOT gold will be valuable.

If you want to bet that you will "weather the storm" and live to see a decent recovery of the US then after the recovery is well underway, gold will again become useful as a form of wealth. Mostly people who believe "things" will substantially normalize in their lifetime would be willing to accept gold as payment for anything because others would have no need for it. Gold has been pounded into our heads as a SAFE means of storing wealth. It is, but only under certain circumstances. Beyond a certain degree of chaos and anarchy gold has little present value. It remains a great hedge for preserving wealth through and beyond the difficult times but requires a recovery within a time frame that is meaningful to the possessor. Are you putting it away for your future or that of your grand kids. How long will it take for civilization to reassert itself and make gold more valuable than food?

There will be a lot of disappointed mislead folks who are unknowingly betting that things will deteriorate to a certain point (paper money devalued and gold appreciated and solid as means of exchange) who will suffer mightily when chaos and anarchy exceeds the point where there is sufficient social order to allow gold to be valuable when starvation is upon the masses.

When food distribution falters in the cities there will be roaming armed gangs of looters "hitting" any food source. There will be no stopping them. The police will be overwhelmed, martial law will be too little too late. Off duty police and military will use there weapons and training to try to get food to feed their families. When there isn't any food to be found in the looted stores and warehouses the armed gangs and probably a lot of really desperate "regular folks" will look upstream toward the source of food, i.e. we country folk.

There is no way that a few armed farmers are going to be able to turn back a multitude of city dwellers faced with starvation. Your animals will be shot in the fields, poorly butchered (much waste), chickens and such taken and on and on. If I am lucky my ponds will not be drained to make gathering fish easier. Hopefully the mob will not be good at seining and leave a few behind.

I'm pretty well armed but I can't stay awake 24-7 and get around quickly enough over 160 acres to protect my place against superior numbers of armed looneys. I do have a couple defensible rooms in my house, each with concrete walls (12 inches exterior wall in one and 8 in the other) Steel storm shutters for the windows in both those bedrooms and extra HD steel FEMA approved triple dead bolted doors. A stockpile of MRE's and canned/bottled water and certain other sanitary necessities will allow me to hole up for an extended period of time if needed. Water is a big consideration. A generator to run a well is a joke. The generator will be stolen. There are manually pumped RO units designed for desalination of sea water and hiking type water filters that can render pond water, rain water, and shallow wells and catchments safe to drink. Fetching water from a nearby pond may be doable as I don't anticipate a long siege. The rest of the house, shop, and garage can be burned to the ground but the master suite and the basement guest room will be fully intact and fairly livable during the fire.

Ahh, gold. If only it had great talismanic power I could put some over the entryway like wolf bane or garlic.

Condensed summary version:

There is a narrow range of conditions under which gold will be a good thing to have compared to food, water, and secure living space. The likelihood of conditions hovering in that narrow window is slight. Being properly armed will be a good thing but no guarantee of your survival in comparison to a secure living space with food and water. Arms will be more important than gold but they too depend on a certain window of applicability which although wider than the beneficial gold window will not be fully applicable and or dependable under reasonably expected conditions. Your wealth might survive as gold but more importantly, will you survive to need/use that wealth?

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Hi Pat...I've read a ton of your posts and it is easy to see you are a wise man. I totally agree with ALL you wrote...survival is paramount. You described many all-too real scenarios. You certainly have thought this thing out as I too have done.
    I have bought mostly silver in "junk" bags, and a few Krugs...I feel better already. It's definately for the long run, not something I have to think about any more, another thing checked off my list. I had just never bought any before now, so I'd hoped that maybe someone could give me a head's up.
    Here's a few things I learned for those interested:
    Buy in Oregon, Arizona, etc.--tax free
    Silver is HARD to get right now. Lock in a price and be sure you know when you will get your shipment. The pre-65 90% silver coins are the best value and will certainly be easier to trade as they come in 715 oz. bags of 10, 25, and 50 cent pieces. It's ALL I could get right away.
    1 oz. gold will be a 3-4-5 week waiting period.
    The fellow I deal with in Oregon has had to change his whole program in the last 3 weeks because of a sudden surge.
    To be sure, all you mentioned Pat is first and foremost. You ARE a man of reality and vision. Thank you for your commentary. It's great to know there are others such as I with these thoughts on their mind. God Bless!

My mother went through the type of scenario outlined when the Bolsheviks came to power.

Food was the important item. One had to adaptable and be able to keep it hidden. In my Mothers case a hole was dug in the cattle corral. Hardened by firing wood in it and covered over. Food would only be cooked about once a week when the wind and weather conditions were right so the smell would not be evident. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Food-grade white plastic buckets are easy to find, and my idea is to fill buckets with rice and throw a few unopened cans of Spam in with the rice, then put the lid back on and then shove a wand down to the bottom and fill the bucket with nitrogen by pushing out the air from the bottom up. Then put the cap back on and set the bucket under the house with the other fifty buckets of rice and beans. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

I like the way this post has shifted to instead of gold/silver, what are we going to do when/if the **** hits the fan! Maybe we need to repost and get everyone to weigh in...I personally would be very glad to see what others have to say about this new topic. I know it's heavy on my mind. To be unprepared would be quite a debacle to deal with. We all know how fast things can change...then it's too late to have things in order.
    What say ye?

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Forget gold and silver, the new currency will be booze and bullets. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Luckily, whiskey keeps pretty well in storage. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Hmm I have never had any whiskey go bad from old age, but it seems to just disappears along with the wine. Strange. The wife did buy herself a new Glock last week and 300 rnds of ammo. Not sure who she is planning to shoot.

Dave, Nitrogen is good but not convenient for many folks. Dry ice is easily available at Wallly World and other vendors. If you put some try ice at the bottom of the bucket before filling it will sublimate into gaseous CO2 which is heavier than air and will force the air up out of the bucket. If you line the bucket with a plastic bag and loosely tie it with a twist tie or not too tight with a rubber band the air and excess CO2 will escape. While the dry ice is active the bag tries to inflate like a balloon. You can punch it down like bread dough and it will rise again if there is still dry ice. When you can punch it down and it doesn't rise you secure the bag tightly.

CO2 is inert regarding food. The most benefit is in excluding O2. No oxygen and stuff lasts a long time. If any critters (weevils and such) hatch out they suffocate with no oxygen and do not mess up the food product. This is good for corn meal, flour, rice, beans, pasta, and most any dry food such as dehydrated vegies, jerky, and such.

Pat

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] YEARS AGO when I was a lot tougher and owned a water well workover rig we used dry ice in a special tool that I made to blast well perforations back to some semblence of activity. We were hard at work on a customer's well and it became apparent that although the job seemed to be successful, we needed more dry ice. The customer volunteered to go get another 200 pounds and zoomed off in his Ferd Broncho to a town twenty miles away. He got the ice and on the way home began to get woozy. He pulled off the road into a parking lot at a country store and just as he put the vehicle in park and reached for the door handle he passed out. Luckily, the door swung open and he tumbled out. The gas drained out of the vehicle and the breeze blew it away; saving him from certain death. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Hmmmm, Dave, ya mighta warned him, not everyone is a rocket surgeon or a brain scientist.

My worst dry ice experience to date has been carbonation of food stuff that isn't as nice carbonated as not. Dry ice in an ice chest, wrapped up to slow its rate of sublimation and used in place of ice proceeded to carbonate tomatoes and stuff. I like my fizz in beverages not my vegies and especially not in sliced tomatoes in a burger.

Pat