Thread: Trimming trees

Trimming trees

Ok I got some tress that are about 3 or 4 years old, maybe 20 to 25 ft high. is it better to trim off all of the lower branches or is better to leave the lower branches and have them contribute to trunk/root growth. And then trim them after they get more mature?

Re: Trimming trees

I'm not a tree expert, but my wife has a pretty good green thumb and we've trimmed the lower branches as they grew and didn't let them get real big to. Also think it would depend on the type of tree. 20-25 ft in 3-4 years is pretty good growth. What kind of trees? What size did you start with?

I just cut down an ash tree in the yard that's been growing for 20 yrs and it was about 30' tall. I was a little nervous at the top of a 23 ft ladder with a chainsaw in hand.

Here in SE Michigan all the ash trees are dead/dying from the emerald ash borer. Ash was the tree of choice for developers to replace the Elm tree. Good shade, fast grower. Unfortunately bug from Asia ruined that.

I like to trim enough of the lower branches so that SO does not hit by branches when she mows. (Long story, it is her 'lawn throne!) Personnally i think it is all in the eye of the beholder. But i like not being able to see the neighbors all the time.
    No fun, change the rules!!!

I myself like to trim from the bottom up. Just comes down to the look you like and how it looks from the curb. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

HEHHEEEEEE. There ain't a curb for 80 miles from my house. Well at least in that direction There might be a curb somewhere in Tombstone but they are actually gonna take most of them out and put in another board walk. The silly state is gonna pay for it.