Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening chainsaw chains?

Sharpening chainsaw chains?

I am looking for an inexpensive way to sharpen my chainsaw chains. It is inconvenient to keep taking chains to the shop. I don't think I can justify a a $300 bench sharpener, but I see some under $50. How good are they? What do yall recommend? I have a small Stihl and a BIG Poulan. I only use them about once a month, but the wood I cut is hardwood. Plus, I *know* I abuse the chains, because when I cut, I cut very close to the ground which dulls them quickly. I would rather dull the chainsaw chains rather than hit the stump later with the shredder [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

BTW: where do yall buy your chains from? I have thought about buying a spool, but that is a big chunk of money all at once....

thanks

Re: Sharpening chainsaw chains?

You can sharpen them yourself by hand and when they get really bad take them to a shop. Touching up the chains frequently makes it much easier to keep them sharp.

I buy chains at a local shop.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] We burned wood to heat our ranch house for years and years so I speak from experience... [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Using a 12-volt saw sharpener that clipped onto the battery of the pickup or the tractor was the best labor saver SINCE the tractor. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You saw for a while and the VERY MINUTE that the teeth seem dull, STOP and go over them with the sharpener. You get that down time back in a jiffy by the extra speed at which the blade cuts. It doesn't take much to get the edge back. I have NO IDEA where my dad got the hand-held toothpaste tube-sized tool; and it was subsequently stolen after his death in '94. I'm sure that a web site or a saw shop could find you such a thing. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    CJDave

I agree with Egon. I use a chainsaw file on mine every time I refill the gas tank. Just stroke the saw across each tooth a couple of times. Takes just a couple of minutes with the chain still on the saw. Most important thing is to use a good relatively new file. When the file loses its "bite", replace it. It's amazing the difference when cutting with a sharp chain and a dull one.

As for chains, I just get it from the local big box store for my Poulan. I'm looking at buying a Stihl 361 with a 20" bar and will get parts from the dealer where I buy it.

BTW. was looking at Stihl saws over the weekend at the local dealer and he mentioned that he used to carry Husky. They came in and wanted him to carry the whole line (high-end and low-end) or they would pull the product. They were moving into big-box stores. He said go ahead, pull the product. Guess what? Big-box stores are NOT service centers. Where does the customer go for service? Duh. Now Husky is back asking him to restock their product AND service parts. No way, he said.

They are a pretty common item in most stores catering to chainsaws. A dremel tool will also work. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Funny you mentioned that about the Big Box stores. I *always* take my Stihl to the store I bought it from for service. But, I am struggling finding a shop to take the Poulan to. A couple shops won't touch it.
    I saw a little battery operated sharpener (cigarette lighter) at the Norther Tool website. I think I may take a closer look at that one.

I have been cutting down juniper trees on our property for 14 years, for what it is worth.

I am mirroring the others............ I keep a hand file to touch up the teeth while cutting wood. Last year I bought a decent 110v sharpener ($80) to give the chain a good sharpening when it needed it. But, the car battery ones work good, too.
    Chuck

Kubota L3400
    Mig and Stick Welders
    Sheep
    2 guard & 1 pack llama

Harbor freight has a benchtop grinder that works amazing for sharpening chains. I think it's about $30. Use the dremel or the file in the field but reset the teeth back at the shop with this and you'll be a happy camper.

The Northern tool sharpener is similar to the HF version but costs more BUT is rated much higher by users I personally trust (Gemini on the TBN sister site and others) who have both.

There is also a 12VDC operated Dremel-like sharpener (Oregon brand?) for use when you are at your vehicle.

Hand stroking each tooth a few times each fill up is a good idea. Another thing many folks do not do which the knowledgeable pros do is:

Take your bar off and turn it over once per days use. It is easy and distributes the wear. Never buy a bar that doesn't have greasable "nose wheel" and grease it with the little "hypodermic" style greaser every fill up.

If you "touch up" your chain every fill up you may not need to sharpen it with a power sharpener for every big session and chains will last longer.

I am NOT a chainsaw expert but I have 2 Mac Eager Beavers (16 inch), an 18 inch 350 Husky, and a 32 inch bar Husky with an engine like a small dirt bike (you know you are pulling something starting it.) I do some logging. I think it is prudent to carry a spare chain (sharpened) in your carry case. You will be surprised how many times you opt to put it on. Stuff happens!

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Stihl doesn't make a bar that has a hole for greasing the tip. They are all sealed bearings that never need greasing.