Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening chainsaw chains?

Re: Sharpening chainsaw chains?

My Stihl 028 Farm Boss has a roller nose with a grease hole. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary, do you realize you have refuted 100% of BlackOak's posts? You're brutal!

Both of my Macs and both of the Husky brand that I have have a grease hole for servicing the roller tip.

If the sealed bearings were good enough to outlast the bar and didn't cost more than those with grease holes I guess I would be happy to have that kind but I'm not convinced they meet that requirement but are just convenient, no brainer equipment.

Both sealed and not sealed are superior to the ones with no bearing at the tip.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Well, my saw is a few years old, maybe 15-18? Perhaps they no longer make such a bar?
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

My newest saw is a 350 Husqvqarna and it is only a year old. My macs are about 6 and 12 years old. I have a larger Husqvarna with a 32 inch bar and an engine like a small dirt bike. I don't know how old it is as I bought it used.

A friend has a Poulan which is nearly new and has grease holes and another has a Sears that is about 2 years old and has grease holes.

I wonder what brands/models have sealed bearings...

Pat

Does your bar have a Stihl logo on it????? As far as greasing the tip in bars with the grease hole, Some do, some don't. I really think the bar oiler will provide enough lube for the sprocket tip.

Well... the bar oil lubes the contact between the chain and teeth in the sprocket BUT does not lube the bearing at the center of the sprocket so very well which is why there is a grease hole.

Pat

Just thought I'd revitalize this old thread.

I finally started using the HF chainsaw chain sharpener I have had for a while. It is a pretty flimsy mostly plastic contraption that requires light handed treatment but when used carefully it seems to do a pretty good job. The sharpening goes pretty fast if you ignore the safety warning to shut the unit down and restart after moving the chain to the next cutter. That must have been included for liability purposes as I ignore it and see no danger to anyone at all aware of what they are doing.

Of course I should note I am typing this with 9 fingers as one is wrapped in gauze to keep the area with 8 stitches clean. New blade in the utility knife this morning and a fraction of a second of imperfect caution led to 3 hours in emergency (mostly waiting).

Pat

ouch! Of course, most times when I injure myself with tools, I usually only notice something is wrong when I see the blood on whatever I'm working on. (It's especially frustrating when working with "unstained" wood [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) Never had to get stitches and I usually let the blood flow pretty well to flush out the wound. Wife (an RN) always asks about the last tetanus shot I had. But who can remember stuff like that, so I say "oh, couple of years ago." So far so good. One of these years, she'll catch on. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] In your case, the utility knife was probably as clean as the needle they used to suture you up.

Them utility knives have got more folks than we realize! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Egon

Funny thing but the only pain worthy of the term from the original incident through right now was the shots they put into the wound to numb it prior to suturing. I felt virtually nothing when I made the cut or after.

Shortly before slicing myself I had cleaned up a dried blood drop on the floor from an earlier work session. I don't mind investing a little blood, sweat, and tears into a worthy project but perhaps should cut back a bit on the blood.

Got the project finished satisfactorily so that is a little consolation. Finishing the unloading of my dump trailer of the 8000 lbs plus load of cattle feed one 5 gal bucket at a time took longer working with one hand. Luckily I only had about 150 gal left to unload.

Pat