Thread: Dory boat

Dory boat

Due to a personal message from another poster I am posting a site where wooden dories are still built in the tradition manner. I have been in the shop more than once. One time we were asked to help turn over a 26 footer that would later be bound for an Alaskan owner.

http://www.doryshop.com/specs.html

I have been wanting to build a dory for many years. My method would employ strip plank construction as this would be easier for me. The trees at the farm have been chosen but never cut. ??? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Time, undecided about my abilities, cost, actually using it etc. have all been a factor.

The ocean is large, cold and does not tolerate incompetence. So, being a prairie boy I'm a little cautious of starting out. There are also exams I would have to pass and some navigating skills to acquire. It would seem that if I don't hurry up time will pass me by. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Exams also pose a challenge for me. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Strangely enough my Father in Law spent 20 years dory fishing the Grand Banks from the schooner Columbia out of Gloucester.

His whole life involved the sea as at the age of 12 he shipped out as a cabin boy, crewed on sailing vessels, later became a sail maker, dory fisherman and then inshore fishery including lobstering.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Dory boat

Egon, a VERY interestin & heart warming story about U'r F-n-L & dories(website).. It amazes me how the prior generations did so much with so little & I've always wondered what the American pioneers would have accomplished with a 4 wheel drive truck, travel trailer, chain saw. I'm over 50 & have a few friends that are in their 80s and am amazed at the things their generation has accomplished. I think they have been labeled "THE FORGOTTEN GENERATION!" & if thats so, maybe mine should be pinned "THE ARM CHAIR CROWD!" I'm not gonna get into that ! The dory construction is very interesting & it seems like all construction has a point.....Being short of words, maybe this will stir some conversation on things they did! Thanks for stirring my thoughts!

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I just googled the info on the COLUMBIA, a schooner that dory fishermen used to fish off the banks. YOW! That was grim; sunk by accidental ramming by a steamer! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] It's hard to float with a big hole amidships. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    CJDave

CJ; That was not the Columbia schooner my Father in Law was fishing from. The Columbia went down in a hurricane in 1928?? I believe. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I've done the Google thing and there is very little information on The Columbia. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

All I can say is my Father in Law retired from fishing at the age of 85! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] There was a fishing schooner "Columbia" that went down in 1905 after being T-boned by Norwegian coal carrier. All nineteen fishermen escaped and got to the coal ship, but lost everything except the clothes they had on. The Cloumbia was becalmed and the helmsman apparently didn't see her. That particular Columbia was out of Glochester. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

But will it pay, they all used to ask Joshua Slocum. Well who cares! Build it if you want and the sooner started the sooner finished.

I hope it works out fine.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"