Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MG Midget

Re: MG Midget

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I had forgotten all about that small V-8 260. I could only recall the 289, but now that you jogged my memory, I do remember the 260 and the other little guy from the Fal-coon Futura days. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Yeah Dave, the MIGHTY 289--> 302 started out as 220 (+/-) then got bored out to 260. The original and majority of Tigers were 260. Right at the last after Chrysler mucked it up I think they put out some with 289. Mine was a 260 (1966) and after the dealer options were installed it was a real TIGER. Not being seriously into drag racing I didn't need a 289 or 302. The warmed up 260 let me blow away a Mustang GT 350. I used to just love to "do a number" on MOPARS and other muscle cars. The looks on the faces (dropped jaw and saucer eyes) of muscle cars I blew away on the freeway were priceless. Of course from a standing start it is I who may have been initially left in the dust. Many of the HYPO cars were geared for say 0-100 and my shift points (@ a relatively conservative 6000 RPM) were roughly 60, 90, and 120.) It was not a level playing field but tilted strongly in my favor.

And Dave, I thought that was spelled (or at least pronounced) Fowlcoon!

Pat (W.C Fields once said, "Never wisen up a chump, never give a sucker and even break.")
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I can't remember all the dates of changes, but Ford had the 289 for quite a few years; at least 1963 forward, but I think several years before that. Dallas used to use about the cheapest thing you could get in a Ford for police sedans, so we had the 289, three on the tree, no air, no power anything for several years. If I remember right, 1968 was the first 302. That was also the year we got air-conditioning and power brakes. Still no power steering so they felt heavy on the front end and harder steering than the previous years. Then in 1969 was our first automatic transmissions and I think the engines were 390 2-bbl. but I never used one of them because I was a detective sergeant all of 1969 so the only time I drove a city vehicle was pool cars and they were pior year models.

In general, I think the 289 Ford was a good engine, but unfortunately, the only one I owned myself was a new 1966 Fairlane 500 that I do believe was quite possibly the worst lemon ever produced by the Ford Motor Company from its inception to the present time [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] .

Bird, Could be the "Belch Fire 500" was a real POS but they were common as dirt and when I needed a new rear axle for my '69 Falcon the 500 axle was cheap as dirt at the junkyard.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

MG

Quote Originally Posted by egon View Post
    This morning I was able to observe a mint MG Midget. Seeing as several posters here have owned one I'd be real interested to see if they could still get into one??? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Having trouble opening Pics ? How to ?
    Larry and Susan

My best friend had a 1967 Midget. We rebuilt the engine and got it back on the road. I was never very comfortable in the car as I was about 6'3" at the time.