Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mecury Vapor yard light

Mecury Vapor yard light

Yo! Anyone know the output voltage of the transformer in one of these common 175W "yard light" fixtures? My normal troubleshooting method would be to put a new bulb in and see if it comes on. I don't want to invest the money for a new bulb, if there is something wrong with the X-fmr or the photo cell. Thanks for all your knowledgeable answers and wild guesses. (Please be specific as to which you are offering. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] ) Bret

Re: Mecury Vapor yard light

Carbon negative Jazz. Solar panel, battery and LEDs! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon : [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

First off, No, I don't know the output voltage. These will probably qualify as somewhere between something educated and a SWAG:
    - I would think the xformer would have a primary/secondary rating tag on it (SWAG)
    - Check to see if you're getting ANY voltage out of the secondary.(somewhat educated).
    - Take the photocell out of the circuit and check it with a meter for continuity when it's covered/uncovered. (somewhat educated)

Anyway, the above is what I would do. Of course, it's a lot easier to go through troubleshooting when it's on a bench than when you're up on a ladder (depending upon your installation) [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Fortunately, it is not mounted.

I was most concerned about putting a volt meter on the output of that transformer. If it's over 600 volts, I'll have to use the meter with high voltage leads. But then again, at what voltage will that gas excite?

And Egon, I should have expected an answer like that from you, what with all the grief I always give you. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

WILD!!

As far as the sensor, usually there is a glass or plastic cover you can look thru. If you look really, really careful you can see a little guy in there on the toilet reading a newspaper or magazine sometimes. When it gets so dark he cannot read anymore then he reachs over and hits the lite switch to continue his musings. If you cannot see your little guy then the sensor is out to lunch and must be replaced. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

You should hear the explanation for what goes on in a copy machine!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    No fun, change the rules!!!

Ah Jazz, just trying to bring you up to snuff!
    [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Actually it isn't a transformer in the usual sense. It is a ballast (or transformer type ballast as opposed to electronic.) If you have another similar light or a friend with one try your bulb in the other light. If it works that way replace your photocell.

There are other approaches but they require significantly more electronics ability.

Ballasts typically outlast several bulbs.

If your bulb was good and the new photocell doesn't fix it then buy another light that takes the same photocell and you have 2 spares. (Some stores won't let you return a photocell)

While you have the bulb out, inspect it carefully. If you tap on the glass (give it a fair thump) and look carefully at the filament, does one side of the filament move independently from the other. If yes, then the filament has gone bye bye.

If you are buying a new fixture, consider low pressure sodium if color rendition doesn't matter at all compared to electrical economy and high pressure sodium for a golden white light that will reproduce greens and blues fairly well and still be more economical lumens per Watt than mercury. Mercury lights do put out a lot of UV which is not always a good thing.

White LED's are a consideratioin.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Hmmm. Putting a VOM in the mogul base socket shows the same voltage as what's coming in from the mains; 120VAC.

The fixture was a salvage, with no lamp, so I don't want to invest money into it if I need to be replacing multiple parts.

JazzDad,
    After reading Pat's reply, I did a little research on ballasts. I always thought they were a transformer as well. But research indicates they are a current regulator, so the voltage would be the same. Learn something new everyday.

Just a note of caution! Pat spent some time living on small boats that were in the water. He may get lead or concrete or even stones mixed up in the Ballast thing! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]