Thread: Mechanical seed planter

Mechanical seed planter

Has anyone used a product like this? If so, could you speak to the pros and cons and, if you like the product, recommend a brand or dealer?

Lehman's Best Seed Planter
    Best Regards,
    Highsmith

Re: Mechanical seed planter

That's interesting. I never heard of Lehman's, but that sure does look the same as the Earthway Precision Planter that I had. It appears the price is a little better on the Earthway. I bought mine at a farm store in Hillsboro, TX, then ordered the optional seed plates, so I had a total of 11 plates. And yes, it was a very handy tool, in my opinion.

Here is another one: Victory Seeds Seed Planter
    Best Regards,
    Highsmith

I think I must have bought the right one; the others are too expensive. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] The first time I ever saw one was when a neighbor had the same brand I bought. He said I could just use his, but then when I saw one in the store I bought it. Of course, having no experience with any but the Earthway, I can't say whether the others are any better or not.

I don't recall the brand but the unit I used to plant a few miles of pearl onions had only one large wheel. It had an aluminum point (miniature plow) that made a small furrow into which the seeds were dispensed. There was a hinged pivoting bar with another little plow on it that was adjustable for spacing laterally. It scribed a line parallel to the row you were planting. At the end of the row you used the scribed line as your new row AND flipped the scribe over to the other side to scribe the next new row... lather rinse repeat for miles and miles.

Pearl onions are a high dollar crop if you have a good outlet/buyer and my friend that I was helping did.

The planter was adjustable for spacing and seed size and had a god sized seed hopper so yo didn't have to refill too often.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Here are some more:
    Solex Planet Jr. Seed Planter

Here is the Earthway Multi-seeder. They combine multiple seeders with all-thread:
    Best Regards,
    Highsmith

I bought the earthway at Lemans in Ohio 5 years ago. I am very well pleased with it. I have only planted corn with it. I have disc for other seeds but never used them. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]