Thread: Step stool air hose reel

Step stool air hose reel

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I have been thinking, thinking, thinking about the best way to control air hoses in already-cluttered construction areas and have come up with an idea which I think has some promise. I'm going to buy or build a step stool and attach a hose reel to the bottom of the stool deck. I'll set it up such that I can put it by the compressor and spool from that point to the work, OR... I can spool BACK toward the compressor and use the stool as a get-bigger step at the work point and just have a short hose for the nail gun. I'll use some creativity on the hose fittings so I can switch the hoses around easily to get the configuration that I want for a particular job. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Re: Step stool air hose reel

I've thought of doing something similar with an electrical extension cord. The concern I had would probably be magnified with an air hose. A step stool is by definition portable and lightweight. I would think any resistance in the air-hose reel would cause the stool to move instead of the hose to play out. You could still do it. I just don't think you could grab the end of the hose and walk off without pulling the step stool. You may have to hold the stool and play out the hose, then walk it over to the compressor. The storage of the hose on the stool may be enough of a benefit to make it worthwhile. If the stool was sturdy enough and the hose/reel added enough weight it may work ok. JMO.

Re: Step stool air hose reel

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I ordered a hose reel from Nothern Tool today which SHOULD do what I need to do. I have one just like it that I mounted on a large air tank that we use during harvest. The spool has an adjustable drag so the hose comes out easily but the spool won't keep turning by itself; a nice feature. As it turns out, I'll have to build a tapered plywood box with the spool bracket bolted to the bottom and sides made out of thin plywood to save weight. I will be depending on the SHAPE for the strength. I'll make the end of the long hose AND the feeder hose female and have a male-male adapter to use for changing the direction of air flow. I have some nice thick rubber feet to use on the bottom, which will add a non-skid characteristic to the box, and enable me to run less tension on the spool brake. I won't have the reel for about a week so I can't really cut any material until then. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I DID see a factory made hose-cord combo reel in the Northern Tool catalog, VERY PRICEY. ($559) [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Each reel had fifty feet. Unfortunately, the power cord was a puny, 16 ga. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    CJDave