Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Propane generators

Propane generators

Hello all, first post!

We recently built a home out in the country and are looking into buying a generator for when the power goes out. We have a 1HP 240V well pump and a 1HP 240V septic pump (drain field is 1200 feet away!) We have a propane on demand water heater and propane furnace with heat pump. For a generator, we are basically just looking for something to run the well and septic pumps, the fridge, microwave, lights, etc. We'll use the woodstove for heat when the power is out. Our panel has a bracket for the generator input that forces you to switch off the main breaker before you can switch on the 240V generator breaker. I've been leaning toward propane since we have 2 120 gallon tanks and I don't have to lift a finger to fill them. The on demand water heater uses virtually no propane it seems. Amazon has a 6000W All Power America propane generator for $790 which seems like a deal. However, there are no customer reviews at all.
    Does anyone have any experience with that brand or any comments on what we're proposing?

Thanks.

Re: Propane generators

Well Here is their web site. Nice all made in china stuff. No mention of a propane generator.

http://www.allpoweramerica.com/aboutus.php

You want this for emergency use. I rate it third rate at best. If you want good reliable generators look to Onan and Generac.
    You get what you pay for.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Ditto the comments by gold member. We have a 5500W made-in-china WEN generator that is just that.... a made-in-china-generator and is in no way a long term solution to emergency power. We only bought it because we were virtually guaranteed a power outage from an ice storm in January, and our "good" generator fund still did not permit buying the unit that we really want; which is a propane-powered 1800 RPM Onan. We are looking for about 8500 watts for our long term gen set because of the air conditioning requirement, and an electric hot water heater. Our house is double-wired and has a separate "critical loads" panel. When we use our little chinese genset we cannot run the hot water heater unless we turn off everything else. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I guess it just gets down to what do you want long term? If this gen set you intend to buy is expected to run up any kind of serious hours, the little cheapie will not be the answer; it will just be the first of several that you'll buy. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    CJDave

One of these days, I guess I'm going to have to buy a portable generator for use during power outages. I don't have one right now. However, in the past I've owned a 2.5kw Onan in a 1973 motorhome, a 7kw Onan in a 1992 motorhome, both on gasoline, and a 4.5kw Kohler in a 1989 fifth-wheel travel trailer on propane.

I agree with the other guys that those cheap ones are probably not worth buying. But whatever you buy, you need to know that most generator problems are the result of a lack of use. One of my brothers was an Onan factory trained generator repairman. You need to run it at least once a month (once a week is better), minimum of 30 minutes (an hour is better), and it needs to be under at least a 50% load (75% is better).

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Bird, have you ever seen a built-in "load bank" on a big gen set? Basically it is a resistance grid that is in front of the engine radiator (pusher fan) and acts like a giant electric heater to load up the engine during it's weekly "freshing up" cycle. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

I've seen a variety of load banks, but not a built-in one such as you describe. Sounds like a good idea, though.

In my motor home i always had one of those cube type electric heaters that I used as a load bank or else the AC.

I have a Generac 15KW propane fired unit. Yes it's air cooled and 3600 RPM vs. Water cooled and 1800RPM, but it's worked fine for four years now. If I'd have the extra money I'd have opted for a different, quieter, unit, but I'm pretty satisifed with it. Auto switch and all works fine. Clap of thunder, power goes out. 40 seconds later the generator's on and so's the air conditioning. And I didn't even have to get out of bed. Life is good! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Gary, Gary, Gary; you should feel SO BAD about siphoning off all of the available "feely good stuff" and leaving so many others in severe wantage. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Automatic transfer? SHEESH! Now that, buddy, is livin'! [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    CJDave

CJ,

It's for my lovely wife. I didn't want her to have to do anything if the power went out. Of course the fact that I don't have to do anything is a bonus!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?