Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Propane generators

Re: Propane generators

Pat, did I forget to mention that I had to mod the enclosure to get the battery in? [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I removed and modified the baffle that's attached to the cooling air intake. I also removed the little stud that sticks up from the base of the enclosure. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I suspected that the two-stage LPG regulator arrangement might minic the two-stage-in-one-unit regulator arrangement in industrial-grade oxy-acetylene torches. When I re-plumbed my house, we ran all 3/4" black iron for the loe-pressure LPG, but we DO HAVE appliances in series on the pipeline; the furnace gets first crack at the gas and then the kitchen stove, which, by the way, has never been much of a "cooker", and I have long suspected that the regulator INSIDE the stovetop may need some tweaking, but I'm not skilled in that work so have been reluctant to touch it. I have checked my gas pressure AT THE FURNACE, but have never checked it at the STOVE with the furnace running. One of the shortcomings of my system is that it still has the feeble 1/2" copper gas line from the tank to the secondary regulator that is mounted on the house; a distance of about 35 feet. That small line probably doesn't help in the friction loss department. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

No, Gary, you forgot that little detail. What model batt did you get. I'm supposed to use a group 26R and the Optima measured almost the same as the 26R at the parts store but... is a tad big. Too big for the greasy shoe horn trick.

I'll find one to fit or will mod as required. The leads are long engough to put the batt externally in a Rubber Maid box. Couldn't find a heater pad so will wrap with heat tape, insulate, and not worry.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I don't remember the model #. As you said, it looked to be th right size, but upon attempted installation I realized there was an issue. The case is red, does that help? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I don't believe my cables are long enough to do an external install, but they could be easily extended by using welding cable and appropriate connectors.
    Gary

Gary, Optima makes red and yellow batteries. Red is for normal starting applications and the yellow are deep cycle.

I have welding cable and the butt splices for it but... I really don't want to mount the battery outside.. just call me stubborn.

I plan on making an enclosure to enclose and improve on the aesthetics of their enclosure which is pretty nice but a tad on the industrial side looks wise. All the air for engine combustion and cooling for the engine and for the generator comes in at the louvers next to the battery. All the hot air including the exhaust goes out the louvers at the opposite end. I think so long as my enclosure is concerned if I keep the two air flows separate and unrestricted I will not have a problem.

If I do opt for mounting the batt external to their enclosure it will be inside my enclosure and not an eye sore.

Pat

I ended up cutting about an inch off the vertical part of the intake air baffle that's inside the battery compartment. That baffle is held on with three or four bolts that thread into captive nuts. No big deal.

And as I mentioned, my Optima is the red one for normal starting operation.
    Gary

Gary, It was not too late as I wanted a maint free anyway. I solved the battery too big for the battery space problem. I ran the batt cables out through the louvers and put the batt in a Tupperware batt box. It will look better when I build a decorative facade/miniature enclosure bld for the genset. I will have oodles of open surface area (louvers) at the intake and discharge ends and a removable front and top for full access to all removable panels on the genset.

I ran it and it sure is quiet for 17 kW. It started the first time so fast I couldn't get my finger off the switch before it started. Now to wire it up. I have an electrician who is going to help me evenings and weekends to wire it up and do several other little projects starting Monday.

Pat