Thread: Hay question??

Hay question??

Our hay man tells us that the common bermuda is slowly taking over the coastal...partially he says due to the drought. He recommended taking 5 acres at a time and roundup, plow and then seed with coastal. We have about 20 acres that we bale. Any comments on this or advice would be appreciated. We are in Northeast Texas about 40 miles from the Red river. Thanks

Re: Hay question??

I do not know dinly do about growing hay. But as coastal grows taller than common i would suspect that it would be the other way but it appears not to be. You might consider using giant instead of coastal cause it goes to seed and might last longer than the costal. Appears to be some good info here.

http://www.bermudagrass.com/info/giant.html

They used to say you could not seed coastal, that you had to sprig it. But I've heard they've developed coastal now that can be planted by seed, just haven't seen it done yet.

40 mile which way? I am 22 miles West of Texarkana. If I remeber correctly, sprigging will make a better stand quicker. Seeding is a long term type thing. Keeping a good coastal stand can be expensive with fuel and fertilizer prices. Get a good soil test and specify Coastal Bermuda as the crop. If you are anywhere near New Boston, you need to talk to Ernest Shelton at Shelton Feed $ Fertilizer. He probably knows more about growing grass than any other person I know.
    Also, who cuts your hay? If you are in NE Texas and only 40 miles from the Red, we may have mutual friends.

Grayson County is the Sherman/Denison area, so that county goes right to the Red River, but I think it's a bit farther west than you're thinking.

Yep, further than I thought. I couldn't remember right off what was just West of Red River County. So he's around 100 miles from me here, give or take.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Man, one of these days I have just GOT to go to Texas. My mental view of Texas is the Panhandle, where Alkali Ike and his horse Oatsy are riding across the desert flats with the occasional cow skull to mark the way. I can't even imagine green grass and hay. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] It's kind of like thinking of New York and all I visualize is skyscrapers, EVEN THOUGH I know New York has agriculture and so forth. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Yep, I need to travel more..... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    CJDave

You know Texas is advertised as the Land of Contrast and it really is. What kind of terrain do you want? Desert, mountains (higher than anything east of the Mississippi River), ocean beaches, forests, plains, farms, ranches, tiny communities, big cities, lakes (well, only one natural one, but lots of man made "reservoirs"), rivers, canyons, hot weather, cold weather, dry climate, rainy climate. You can find it somewhere in Texas. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Dave the part of Texas where I grew up. South Texas just south of Galveston where the hurricane just went thru you are more in danger of drowning than ever dying of thirst. I would bet our old pastures are 6 inches deep in water right now.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The only time I ever set foot in the Lone Star State was when I stopped in Houston on a flight from SFO to Guatemala City. I had a few minutes to spare so I stepped outside into what was my very first introduction to HUMIDITY. Houston was the complete opposite of what I thought it would be; at least what I could see of it from the landing and then the subsequent take-off; I expected desert and ol' rigs, not swamps. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave