Thread: Gravel Driveway Maintenance

Gravel Driveway Maintenance

I built a beautiful home in country neighborhood in NC. It was a spec house on 7 acres. French in style.I wanted a beautiful tan gravel on the long driveway which circled in front of the house. The gravel used is called "Chapel Hill Gravel" quarried from Chapel Hill, NC. It was installed on a very compacted earth between 4" steel edging at a depth of 4'' and then tamped. then added more and tamped again. It is considered a natural "crush and run".(98% compaction with little work) Sold the home to a metro older couple from DC. I'm sure they have never had a gravel driveway. Six months after I sold the home Tropical Storm Alberto dumped 7+ inches of rain and caused gullies and potholes that they refuse to repair or maintain any of the driveway. Now 2 years later and continued "no maintenance" they are suing me. There have been many rains. I have had a gravel driveway for most of my adult life. Everyone I know realizes the common sense maintenance gravel driveways require. Would anyone please give me their replies and experiences with gravel driveways.

Re: Gravel Driveway Maintenance

First, this post is in the wrong category. The "Outdoor" category (note the description includes "driveways") would be the proper spot.

Second, What, are they stupid? This should be an easy lawsuit to defend. As you say, everyone knows (well, with the exception of the people who bought your house) that gravel driveways will erode with weather and use. That is like someone suing you because they didn't cut the grass and it grew too long. Unless you gave them some explicit warranty (verbal or written) when you sold the house, any judge with common sense would throw this case out. (Uh oh, common sense in a judge? - you may be in trouble LOL) just drive around and take pix of gravel driveways that are in need of repair. Get a picture of a company regrading a driveway. Print off articles from forums (like this) on driveway maintenance. Get an affidavit from the company that installed it.

Anyway, good luck.