Thread: Meat bandsaws

Meat bandsaws

I've seen these at some of the farm stores and I'm wondering if anyone has used one of these? How well does it work? Can you cut meat straight out of the deep freeze with them or does it need to be partially thawed first? How is the cleanup? Are the food-safe blades expensive and hard to find?

Re: Meat bandsaws

I have a meat bandsaw that we use while butchering animals. I got it at a lawn sale. It will cut frozen meat, even a little easier than thawed meat. It is quite a job to clean although no harder than a meat grinder. There are several places on the web to order blades with no problems. I don't know how we got by without it, I really do love it.

Keep it going guys. I have the goats coming and they are meats and small enough that i do not need a butcher to do them (like i did with cows) so hoping the profit margin will improve slightly. Brands? Cost? Not thinking large enough to cut a buffalo but have seen the hand helds that look kind of like a chain saw for the backbones, but was thinking of more of a table top version.
    No fun, change the rules!!!

This is what I got... found it on clearance at Mill's Fleet Farm for $260.

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/590/saws_slicers

It is a really impressive saw. Very well made... much better than the harbor freight stuff. Stainless sliding table and blade. The cast parts are all aluminum so they won't rust with the frequent cleaning like iron would. It cuts through solid (0 degree) meat like butter. I can get exactly consistent cuts with the fence, which is great for cutting steaks all the same thickness all the way through.

The only real downside is cleanup... it takes a long time to clean since the meat "saw dust" gets everywhere... but it is still a big improvement on doing it by hand, even with the extra cleanup time factored in.

The one I have is a northern tool type of saw. I do not like the table, and the blade guides are not very good. A friend of Mine has a Cabela's and it is wonderful. I have several Cabela's products (Grinder, Mixer, Patty Press) and everyone of them is well worth the money, and their customer service is great. I recieved 1 damaged piece and called them. I explained I was cutting a beef critter in three days and they sent out a replacement overnight air to me. My credit card was charged for the new piece but credited, including shipping, upon return of the damaged piece. I can't ask for better than that.