Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cool New Country Artist

Cool New Country Artist

I absolutely love Eli Young Band痴 album Jet Black & Jealous. I知 not really a huge fan of country in general but this album really got to me. In my opinion the best song on the album is 展hen It Rains? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztHNs_b_sy0. If you aren稚 familiar with Eli Young Band yet you should definitely give them a listen.

www.myspace.com/eliyoungband

-Mary
    UMGD

Re: Cool New Country Artist

I am afraid that my country appreciation lies back in the 60's. There it seems I'm stuck.

The artists of the time seem to have stopped releasing albums, have passed on or have turned into older folks.

Time seems to pass ever so slowly till one day we look in the mirror and wonder where the youth that still exists in ones mind disappeared! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

i guess when you're happy, time really passes by quickly. nothing wrong with that. I really like country music and I listen to the older and newer stuff. i have to thank my parents for putting on country music when I was growing up so I really got into it. my latest obsession in the country music scene is Eli Young Band and I just love their sound.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I am afraid that my country appreciation lies back in the 60's. There it seems I'm stuck.

The artists of the time seem to have stopped releasing albums, have passed on or have turned into older folks.

Time seems to pass ever so slowly till one day we look in the mirror and wonder where the youth that still exists in ones mind disappeared!

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it's simply a sign that we're getting old, Egon. I almost never turn a radio on anymore, and haven't for several years.

I liked the rock 'n roll of the 1950s, and I liked the country and western of the 1960s and even into the 70s. I don't recall hearing anything new in the last 20 years that I liked.

And my favorite kind of music; male 4 part harmony quartets with a strong bass singer, such as the old Sons of the Pioneers many years ago (when Foghorn ? was singing bass), the Statler Brothers, and the Oak Ridge Boys.

And even better were the southern gospel quartets of my youth; the Stamps Quartet (I took piano lessons one summer from their piano player, Easmon Napier), the Stamps Baxter Quartet, the Stamps Ozark Quartest, the Statesmen (James "Big Chief" Weatherington singing bass), the Blackwood Brothers (J.D. Sumner - lowest bass singer in the world according to Guiness Book of Records), the Cathedrals (George Younce singing bass), the Florida Boys (Billy Todd singing bass), and how many remember the Oak Ridge Boys when they were strictly southern gospel (and even better than the current guys with Herman Harper singing bass).

Aaah yes, all my favorite good old bass singers have gone on to their final reward.

That sounds just about like me Bird.

Back in the 60's there were many years where I worked in camps so far back there was no radio reception and it was only well later that I got to catch up on the music.

Now I do not listen to the radio in the truck as the engine is too loud and my hearing is not all that good.

Away back in my early school years It was decreed I should have piano lessons much to my dismay. The lessons interfered with the weekly Saturday movie and practice time kinda cut into other more interesting activities. Maybe if it had been another instrument?? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I do recall once going to a Live Rodger Whitaker concert. My favorite group would have Peter Paul and Mary with individual songs from groups like the Seekers thrown in. [ Morning Town Ride] Then there were a lot of individuals that I also liked. Too many to name. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

And darned, just like me they aged some over the years and the 60's have gone on by never to be revisited except by the songs of the performers of that time. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Yep, Egon, my Dad was a pretty good bass singer himself and always wanted a kid that could play the piano. So I took piano lessons for a couple of years, but you know a country boy would rather be outside, and I just didn't have the instincts for the right timing or rhythm.

I have one Rodger Whitaker CD myself that was a gift, but we used to go to the Sunday "all day singing and dinner on the grounds" meetings in southern Oklahoma. Then after we moved to Texas, the Statesmen and the Blackwood Brothers were in Ft. Worth on a Saturday night every 2 months and that was the concerts I liked to go to.

My Grandfather had played in a Band in His younger years I was told. It seems he kept an accordion with him and anytime he visited someone a party would soon develop.

One winter he built a player organ. It resides in a museum in Stettler today.

The closest I ever came singing was mumbling the words to "Morning Town Ride" under my breathe as I was skiing the Moguls under the lift. This would usually get me allocates of 8 or 9's. Note; these allocades were not for masterful skiing but for how far back up the the hill one had to climb to pick up ones gear that had shaken loose in the process of falling. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, I might have been able to be a decent singer if I'd gone about it the right way. I also took some singing, directing, and songwriting lessons as a teenager and during "Youth Week" at our church, I was the choir director. However, the only thing I really wanted to sing was bass and I never had the voice for it. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Egon, you might like my brother in law ...

Bobby Dale

Gee Cindy, He looks just like me! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Course he's got some talents I'm a little shy of though.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    old crock-pot, in which she claims untold numbers of pots of beans were made.

[/ QUOTE ]

WE got one of those. It was my Grandmothers.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]