Thread: wiring baseboard heater

wiring baseboard heater

there are no instractions on this heater at all so here what i see
    MARLEY heater model# PLF1504D input voltage 220volt AC 6.3 Amps Honeywell thermostat 220 volts AC
    what i need to know is do i need 12/2 or 12/3 or 10 gage wire to install the heater also no information if the double pole breaker sould be 20 or 30 Amps
    the hot lines coming forn the electrical box will go to LINE 1 and LINE 2 to the thermostat and then T1 and T2 from thermostat to the heater
    there is no ground on the thermostat so i assume that it will be connected directly the ground fron the box to the ground of the heater
    can you give me any information to my questiosn about the breaker and the wire gage?

thank you

Anastasios

Re: wiring baseboard heater

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] 12-2 with ground will handle that heater. There will be NO neutral, the uninsulated wire in the bundle will tie directly to the case of the thermostat and then on to the case of the heater. #12 wire should be used with a 20 AMP breaker...max.
    6.3 AMPs isn't much, 2.5 times 6.3 is still only 15.75 AMPs; you actually could run that heater on a 15A breaker. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

thanks Dave

there is one more thing that i forget to mention Dave on this baseboard heater in one end there are 2 pair wire nuted together(4 wires) of black wires and on the other end one pair of red wirenuted together and one black pair since there is no wiring diagram of the heater is the red and black the load wires? or makes no defference
    i cant find any info from the manufacturer of the heater

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] On 240V circuits, the red and the black are the power legs. That heater may have more than one element in it and those could be where the elements tie together red-red, black-black. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave