Thread: Storm Door and frame

Storm Door and frame

Hi,

Have a bit of a dilemma. Bought a storm door from a restore without a frame. Then I ordered a frame from Home Depot to fit a 36" x 80 door (an Emco frame) but waited so long to put it together that when I opened the frame the bottom of the cardboard box had rotted and so did part of the instructions to put it together. I called Emco for new instructions with no luck, they keep saying they will send it but it never arrives. I was wondering if there is a standard step by step to put up a storm door with frame where there was never a storm door? Any help would be great.

Re: Storm Door and frame

Without seeing what you've got, I'll make a suggestion or two. First, I'd measure the opening, and make centerline marks on the actual opening edges. Make sure the 2 horizontal marks (each side of opening) are level. Then I'd assemble the door and frame on the ground and make sure the assembly is square (use equal diagonals as a check). Take some measurements of the door/frame and mark centerlines on the frame edges. Measure the top and bottom frame hole positions (hinge side) off of the door/freame centerlines. Then transfer these 2 hole locations to the opening (hang a plumb bob from the top mark of the opeing for the vertical centerline) holes and transfer to the drawing. making sure everything is centered on the opening. Install the door and hinge side frame piece to the opening hing side using the 2 holes marked above. Now you can adjust as necessary to get it level/plumb and put in the other frame pieces.

That is ONE method of doing it and would be easier if you have a helper. If you're doing it alone (as I usually am doing projects around the house), you may want to remove the hinge side frame when attaching it to the opening, then hang the door on the frame. May be easier if it's not a full length hinge.

Anyway, that's how I'd approach it. Just remember, measure twice, cut once. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]