Thread: when to prune apple trees

when to prune apple trees

I have a couple of apple trees on my property mixed in with the crab apples and the hardwoods. Due to the density of the surrounding trees the apple trees have grown taller reaching for the light and when the branchs due bear fruit they bend down from the weight. I know I need to clear out the surrounding trees to give them more light but I also want to prune the trees to get them to produce better fruit on fuller shorter branchs. So my question is when is the best time to prune the trees? Thanks, Dave.

Re: when to prune apple trees

The best time to prune apple trees is late winter to early spring. It's best to prune the trees just before they flower and begin to leaf out. You should try to avoid pruning trees in the fall since this can reduce their winter hardiness.
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

Is it OK to prune when the trees are dormant. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping that I didn't miss my opportunity to trim them back as I've been busy as all get out this fall.

Rule of thumb i had heard was if you could throw a hat thru the tree and not hit branches it was well pruned.
    No fun, change the rules!!!