Thread: House Shutters

House Shutters

Are shutters suppose to be smaller that the window frame and if so, how much smaller is acceptible ?

The outside frame of my windows are 53".

Re: House Shutters

Are these supposed to be functional, or just decorative? The original purpose of shutters could be to limit light/ heat, or to prevent storm damage (exterior). These shutters had to fit into the window frame opening, or overlap over it. Your best bet is to look around at what others have done, and copy the version you like best.

I have functional shutters made of sheet steel that overlap and lock with bolts. They are interior shutters (no one likes to go outside in a storm to close shutters.) I may lose a window but not a life. These are only on the windows of bedrooms that are also safe rooms with super HD steel doors and triple deadbolts.

My two options for appearance enhancement of the shutters are: 1. decorative cloth covers that are pleasing companions to the bed spread and shams or 2. painting them white as a prep for painting a mural on them. The best suggestion to date is to paint a picture of a window with a nice view on the shutter, viewing the closed side and a different sort of scene when opened, compatible with the rooms theme, rustic western or...

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Have the shutters permanently closed so you don't get caught sleeping.

Put a screen over the shutter with changing outside scenes. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]