Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding survey pins

Finding survey pins

I was thinking I'd like to have an idea where my survey pins are. I've found a couple by luck. I thought I should be able to use the directions from the survey map to go from the found pin to the next pin on the map. However, I don't understand the directions on the map. It will show the distance between the 2 pins above the line & the direction of the line below it. An example of the direction is N 50'56'14" W. I was looking for some kind of degree, like 200 degrees ne or something. Can that be converted to degrees somehow? Is there someway of using that info w/ a compass or a gps to find the next pin? I've never used a gps, but it seems there should be a way to put in a distance & direction so it would lead you to the next pin. I know they aren't 100% accurate, but would think you could get close it. I'm not putting up fence or anything. I just bought some acreage that connects to what I had & would like to know about where my lines are.

Re: Finding survey pins

The survey info is a method called "metes and bounds" that is used for most if not all of the US. The way it works is you stand at the pin or other reference point, like a section post, and face the direction of the 1st piece of data ( N or North in your case). Then swing your transit (or arm) and point in the next direction given (50 deg to the West in your case), with 0 being straight ahead or North and 90 deg being dead to your left. Then measure along that line the distance for that "leg" of your property line. Depending upon how good your compass and transit are, you should get close enough to find the iron (if it's not buried and the surface marker gone). I used a construction transit to mark the correct position of a survey stake that a neighbor moved (long story) and then at the insistence of the neighbor had it resurveyed. I was within an inch of the surveyors position.

If you can somehow setup a reference with your existing property lines, then a compass may not be necessary, but a transit will.
    OR....
    you could always setup some reference lines (off of your known property line) using a 3-4-5 right triangle and use trig to calculate how far off the the 50 deg 56' 14'' is from the reference line. Best to do this on paper first.

Accuracy will also depend if you've got clear sight lines, forest to tramp through, etc.

N 50'56'14" W

That is a direction in degrees, minutes and seconds. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Agreed with JML755 post deleted.

jimbrown,
    I disagree on your diagram of the OP's property description. It is NOT a NNE line. The bearing was N 50'56'14" <font color="red"> </font color> W. <font color="black"> </font color> This means it is a NNW line, with the bearing measured in a CCW direction from the pin and North (0 degrees) towards due West (90 degrees). Check out the definition of metes and bounds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metes_and_bounds). And for what he's trying to do (without surveyors equipment) the 14 seconds (and probably) 56 minutes would be useless.

The direction will be 50 degrees 56 minutes 14 seconds west of north. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Subtract from 360 and you should have a compass bearing of approximately 309 degrees. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Well, now I know why surveys are so expensive. Most of that goes over my head. I was thinking of using one of those handheld gps units to try to find the next pin &amp; then just going pin to pin. I haven't used one before, so I don't know if it will work. If i'm following at all, it seems you just get your direction from the N &amp; the W to be NW. Then subtract the first # from 360 for the degree. Then walk in that direction at that degree for the distance of the line. If it don't work, it will be a nice hike anyway.

Then subtract the first # from 360 for the degree. Then walk in that direction at that degree for the distance

Nope, doing the subtracting gives you a compass heading. A compass heading is in degrees and is not dependent on any other direction than true north for the compass to which the compass needle is adjusted after you set it for the declination of your local area. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

N 50'56'14" W = 50degrees 56minutes 14 seconds North of West.

50 degrees + 56 minutes * (1 degree/60minutes)
    + 14 seconds * (1 degree/3600seconds)
    = 50.9372 decimal degrees

So start from that point with a compass and sight
    a hair less than 51 degrees north of west.
    Facing directly west it would be 51 degrees to your right.

Pooh Bear

I appreciate the help. I think I'm starting to get it now. If I'm traveling the right degree, then that means I'm going the right direction. I'm gonna try to borrow a metal detector to help find the pin once I'm in the right general area. I have one last question though. Some of the pins are over 1000 feet apart. I've been looking at the Garmin Etrex series gps. Can you input a direction &amp; distance so it will lead you to the right place? I've talked to a few of the sales people, but none really seem to know much about it.