Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grrrrrrr horses

grrrrrrr horses

i run a very small property with only 6 superfine merino sheep and a ram with a value f over 15000 (well beofre the downturn) in australia. yesterday my neighbours horses broke the fence down and destoyed quite a bit of my pasture just by runnin back and forth.
    we got the horses out to back into their padock 1 got thrown down the road and the other tried destroyign the oer fence so we shot it.

well what ways are there to keep horses off fences?? they also have an electric fence with massive volts/amperage that we think killed one of our ewes but doesn't seem to keep them at bay.

any ideas??

Re: grrrrrrr horses

I'd be talking to the neighbor, first. Second, electric fences are the best way up here in the US to ensure horses stay where they are supposed to. If a horse wants to get through a fence (stallion with mare in season on other side???) he'll probably get through it. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

My thoughts as having owned lots of horses is that if you had just left them alone they would have gone back home. And they don' t tear up fences or have to be shot unless someone is really chasing the hell out of them. A little simple low key hearding works best. I have never seen an electric fence with enough amperage to kill anything other than maybe an insect, and we got electric fences 20 miles long around here. And if you shot my $30,000 friesian I would be shooting sheep as fast as I could reload. Well probably not really but I would want to. Not the sheep's fault some human spooked horses so bad they had to be shot.

I'm Assuming the one you shot didn't come back so that sounds like a good solution to me.

If you could catch them in a pen you could offer to sell them back to the owner before you shot them.

I don't think that would go to well if the owner of the horses reported you...

Kyle

And if you tried that here in Arizona you would be in jail facing a class one felony charge.

Every time you went to town you would be pointed out as the idiot that shot old Joe's horses.

If you made the mistake of going to the cafe the waitress would probably spill your coffee on the table. And when you got ready to leave there would be an F250 with a gooseneck trailer parked right where you could not leave. If you ask who owned it big Bubba would say me and ill move it in a bit when I finsh my coffee which might be a couple of hours.

And god forbid you need any well work because the well digger is one of the larger ranchers around. He would probably be booked solid for at least two weeks.

jimbrown,
    heh,heh,heh. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Loved your description of modern "frontier justice". As you say, there are lots of ways for "payback" that don't put you on the wrong side of the law.

Well my horses will stay put with a battery operated 6-volt battery electric fence... Don't know what kinda electric fence you all use but jeez....
    So you shot horses because of Sheep? Hmmm your a nice neighbor. I'd kill all your **** sheep if'n you shot my cutting horses...

So, some of you think it's OK for your horses to go onto and destroy someone else's property? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Bird I live in the land of OPEN RANGE. Animals cattle horses ect kinda go where they please and owners just sort them out as required. I am surrounded by several large ranches 15,000 ac plus, hundreds of cows. One of the closer ones raises rodeo stock. Those are some mean rangy cows. They go thru any fence anytime they want to. If I got mad every time they came thru my fence I would be angry all the time. I just let em be and most of the time they go back home the next day and if I really want them gone I just open a gate and kinda herd them that way. But, what you don't do is go out and spook em to hell and back or for sure start shooten em. There is just no reason for that kinda action. If they really do any harm the owner would probably pay me. I keep mine fenced in but they do it out from tie to time when I forget to close a gate or whatever. It is just no big deal. The road in front of my house is a private road at least two miles to the closest county road. And come feeding time they come back home at a full gallop.

In the original post it appeared a couple of horses crossed the fence and stomped down some grass whoppe do how much damage is that? Then the OP spooks the heck out of them causing them to what appeared to be teardown some sort of wood or stockade fence he was not very clear. I don't know what kind of horses they were could be wild ones. But certainly nothing to warrant killing one them.